1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pension investment company

Discussion in 'off topic' started by clivem2, Nov 2, 2016.

1. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Does anyone here know about Fisher Investments?

They have a decent story about pension investments and look to be a genuine company, they actively manage funds. When I research them there are some negative comments on the internet (aren't there always), also their fees are about 1.5%. They are very sales focused too with high sales staff turnover. Of course they promise high returns but my gut tells me to ignore their calls and not get drawn in.

Does anyone know them and have advice on them?

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Cold called?

Next time give them a 2 word answer.

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Ignore cold calls as they are only out to make money for themselves.

If you want pensions advice seek out a local financial adviser who you can talk to face-to-face. You'll get the first meeting for free so set up meetings with more than one adviser before making a choice. They must by law spell out their charges and provide a detailed written analysis of your requirements and the reasons why they have made any recommendations.

Cheers,

DV

4. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Not quite a cold call. I downloaded a report. I have an IFA and plan to stick with him but was interested to know whether anyone has had dealings with Fisher Investments before I totally boot them out.

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Just a thought. Unless things have changed, pension companies can happily quote on past performance, but are not legally allowed to quote anything but pre-agreed levels on potential future performance. So if a member of their group is saying that they're going to achieve amazing results, they're being a bit naughty.

6. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

They claim 9% growth averaged over something like the last 10 years. I'm sure that's possible in the future but there must be risk....

7. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Yep, quoting past performance is fine, though clearly it's not going to guarantee future performance.
    There isn't an easy answer here. Just do more research and personally I'd be inclined to walk away from anyone too pushy. A good IFA should be able to give you informed thoughts, taking into account past performance, consistency and charges.

8. Darth Vader

That figure is meaningless as it hasn't been corrected for inflation. For example if you had put £1000 into the bank in 2006 It would have to grow to £1,347.43 in 2016 just to correct for inflation! So no you would not have had a 35% growth over 10 years but 0% in real terms.

I always like to work in terms of growth above inflation you can then think in terms of todays buying power.

Cheers,

DV

9. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

How would a footsie 100 tracker have performed.

10. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Charges have a massive effect on the final pension pot e.g. save £250 pm for 40 years, assuming 7% growth p.a. and no fees would result in £621379.

Hypothetical examples: no Initial charge, but ...

Annual fee of 0.25% = £579361

Annual fee of 0.5% = £540507

Annual fee of 1% = £471310

Annual fee of 1.5% = £412023

Initial charge of 1% plus ...

Annual fee of 0.25% = £ 573567

Annual fee of 0.5% = £ 535101

Annual fee of 1% = £ 466597

Annual fee of 1.5% = £ 407903

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...arges-calculator-How-fees-affect-returns.html

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Is this the 'if I give you my pension pot, will you hide it safely under your bed for me' approach?

12. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Anyone who promises high returns are probably to be avoided.

How much of your pension pot do they suggest you invest? Have they explained your tax liability even if you get no return?

13. Darth Vader

About 6% pa after charges. So £1000 invested in 2006 would become approximately £1700 today. However taking inflation into account your £1000 in 2006 has become £1262 in 2006 money i.e. £1700 today is only worth £1262 in 2006. So the real return is 26% over 10 years = circa 2.5% pa.

Cheers,

DV

14. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

It's the high returns which rang the first alarm bell. They've not qualified my situation at all. In fact if I were to experience the returns they speak of I'll soon have a tax bill, I'm close to retirement and getting close to the lifetime limit. They also haven't sussed I'll be in drawdown when I retire (soonish) and that will impact my investment strategy. To be fair I've only have a phone call, no meeting hence the lack of qualification (perhaps). The company seems relatively genuine (ie not a scam) but with a lot of pressure on their sales people / high turnover of staff. I don't want to be involved in the game desperate sales people will be tempted to play. I'll play safe and stick with the people I trust.

15. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Good plan. Taking risks with your pension close to retirement is a recipe for disaster. The works pension fund i was invloved with shifted from speculative investments when the members were younger to less speculative as the members got older. You can spread the risk by taking your tax free lump sum and putting it into a share isa account, or buy property. I feel much more comfortable in control and its cheaper.

16. charliem

charliem pfm Member

In this day and age its hard to make good returns without risk. 9% is OK but you should be able to understand what they will be investing in from their literature.

I make about 6% from investing in peer to peer lending, 6% from investing in residential property, and 11% investing in commercial property. All are self managed, very easy to control and low risk.

Could you not just invest the money yourself and manage it yourself?

Charlie

17. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Certainly it's an option to go down the SIPP route for the DC part of my pension pot. I run my own BTL which has decent returns (5%) considering it's also aimed at capital growth. Commercial property caused me trouble a few years back, it seems quite volatile which is hardly surprising.

18. charliem

charliem pfm Member

A SIPP is a self invested pension. You still have to decide what to invest in. And a SIPP is controlled by trustees and lawyers - annoying people. Have you thought about a SSAS, a self managed version of the same thing. You invest in whatever you want and run it yourself. They are great if you want to control your investment yourself.

Charlie

19. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

The most highly motivated and trust-worthy person to look after your money is you!