1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

People Smuggling Tragedy

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Minio, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

People suffering from advanced hypothermia feel hot and can often strip their clothes off.

2. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I don't know how much stupidity has to do with it, or how meaningful the concept of choice is here, it's certainly not the kind of choice I'm used to (second pack of Walkers?) People find themselves in desperate situations or longing for family and take big risks. I don't think the distinction between those displaced by disaster and war and those experiencing economic or emotional devastation is all that clear cut.

People are going to move around and we need to figure out how to deal with that in a world still based on national borders. But whatever discussion we have about that needs to take into account the fact that borders cause deaths, same as when you put impossible barriers in the way of other basic human needs, otherwise we're not being honest with ourselves.

3. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

They don’t have passports, or if they do, they’re fake.
    An unaccompanied kid, looking completely lost & confused with a flimsy cover story & a dodgy fake passport would be an easy spot for immigration control.
    The journey will be done in stages. The won’t have travelled all the way from China in the one vehicle.
    From the reports, no they weren’t all kids. But then again, the reports said they were Chinese. ( well, they all look the same don’t they, according to the daily mail).
    I would think that quite a few were Vietnamese, and young.
    Yes we should do more to stop the trafficking, but the issue needs to be tackled at source & we would have no jurisdiction. The UK Vietnamese community will continue to encourage more to come over & then disappear into their like in London, Bristol, Birmingham, Glasgow & all points in between. It happens every day of the year without fail.

4. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

If you live in a wealthy country with strict immigration controls, desperate people will always be prepared to go to extremes to get in. And if you think the UK is rammed, go to Bangladesh or Nigeria. Once climate change starts biting, imagine what Lagos will be like and how much more tempting western Europe will then be to those who live there. The market for people smugglers is only going to get bigger and more dangerous.

I'd like to think this isn't yet another sign pointing to a future in which the vast majority of humans are engaged in vicious competition for food and water, but I suspect that would be optimistic.

5. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

BBC reporting that now they reckon they were ALL Vietnamese, not Chinese.
    One of my (now 25 yrs old) foster daughters was at a Vietnamese temple in London on Sunday. The congregation knew the victims were Vietnamese & the atmosphere was incredibly sad & one of mourning.
    It’s an extremely crass bit of reporting from someone who has no clue as to what’s going on.... oh yeah, they all had black hair & slitty eyes, they must all be Chinese. Bloody idiots.
    The sad thing is, will it change anything? I very much doubt it.