1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Album of 2018 - Nominations

Discussion in 'music' started by Whaleblue, Jan 20, 2018.

1. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

The National. Boxer Live in Brussels.

Better than the original and the best album I've heard this year by a country mile. I can't stop playing it.

2. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I'm not sure yet whether I like it better than the studio version (which is my favourite album from The National, and one of my favourites full stop).

I was hoping for something amazing like Seldom Seen Kid at Abbey Road - maybe my expectations were too high!

3. Whaleblue

Whaleblue The Mighty Deoxitiser

It’s a superb live album, and has made me listen to the original again.

In fact, both the original and live versions are superb. Perhaps no point in comparing them, as such?

Having said that, I’ve bought a spare copy of the live album to give to whoever I think needs it in their life, and have promoted the original up my list of all time greats.

Summary: Good shout.

darrenyeats and HarryB like this.
  4. Premmyboy

Premmyboy pfm Member

The Vryll Society. Really grows on you. Maybe a little reminiscent of Tame Impala or Real Estate.

5. Sich

Sich pfm Member

Autechre - NTS sessions.
    Not quite as obtuse as Exai and similar - can see me listening to this for a long time and a great hi-fi demonstrator.

6. MVV

MVV pfm Member

And again for the Cowboy Junkies. Nothing else floating my boat.

7. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

Low - Double Negative. Carrying on the journey from Ones and Sixes into ever darker territory. Some albums are a collection of songs, this isn't as far as I'm concerned... it simply needs to be listened to from start to end. Followed by a couple of minutes to catch your breath.

8. Konteebos

Konteebos Post Ironic

I've been enjoying "Smote Reverser" by the Oh Sees, it hasn't been getting great reviews but it works for me:

crimsondonkey and Ibbots like this.
  9. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Riverside - Wasteland.
    I've played this through half a dozen times and it gets better with each listen.
    Prog rock at its best with echoes of King Crimson/Tull & Genesis.

10. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

11. guey

guey pfm Member

A few more:

Tony Allen & Jeff Mills - Tomorrow Comes The Harvest (an EP really, but I'm choosing to ignore that). Those gorgeous drums, augmented with 909, synths, and a terrific production.
    Confidence Man - Confident Music For Confident People. A total pop blast - imagine The B-52s produced by Weatherall circa Screamadelica (ish). Brilliant fun live too.
    The Necks - Body. More jazz/minimalism/electronica/whatever from one of the best trios ever; this time with added guitars.
    Immersion - Sleepless, another cracking slab of krauty goodness from Colin Newman and Malka Spiegel
    Nakhane - You Will Not Die. One of those very rare occasions where I've been really impressed by an unknown (to me) artist on Later, and bought the album straight away. His previous album, Brave Confusion (under the name Nakhane Toure), is excellent too. Though due to record company territory bollox, I had to get a Canadian mate to download it for me, and ping it across the ocean.

12. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Yeah, a bit frustrating. I’m after that on cd.

13. David W Brown

David W Brown pfm Member

Idles - Joy as an Act of Resistance - is getting played a lot here, I'm normally a bit of a techno / electronica / dance / hip hop kinda geezar, but this album is lovely and shouty and I think it reflects the feeling of a lot of the country at the moment.

14. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

ACR:SET just landed, it's like going to a gig of their's in one handy album.

[​IMG]

If you haven't seen them live, do so

15. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Definitely, I think it’s possibly his best.
    You missed ‘The thing that made Columbia famous’ off your list as well

16. Miller-8

Miller-8 pfm Member

Årabrot - Who Do You Love
    Spriritualized - And Nothing Hurt
    Soccer Mommy - Clean
    Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
    Judas Priest - Firepower
    Willie Nelson - Last Man Standing
    Rae Morris - Someone Out There
    Lord Huron - Vide Noir
    Caroline Rose - Loner