1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Health Club

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Whaleblue, Sep 6, 2018.

1. diybry

diybry pfm Member

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's a very biased US perspective. It also has half-truths built in there that discredit the arguments and identify it as a polemic. When I see "table sugar is 50% fructose" then it rings all the alarm bells. Table sugar is 100% sucrose, which is itself a chemical dimer of fructose and glucose. You cannot separate the 2 components, it is chemically bonded. It is no more 50% fructose than table salt is half sodium and half chlorine, or rust is 2 parts iron and 3 parts oxygen. If rust is 3 parts oxygen, why can't we breathe it? Because it's a chemical compound which has its own chemical characteristics. The same goes for sucrose-fructose-glucose. You present this as a truth in such a way that you encourage people to draw false conclusions. This may be acceptable if you're a politician but it's bad science. Maybe it sells books, it doesn't convince scientists.

3. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disrupticon

The junk food manufacturer strikes again!

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yawn. Don't feed the troll.

5. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

How does sucrose get metabolized? Is it not split glucose/fructose? Glucose off directly to the blood and fructose off to the liver to overload it? Not bad like glugging fruit juices of course.

Whatever I think the salt/rust analogy is over-glib.

Whatever, whatever, less is more with sugar. Or rather more really isn't better and milk is sweet when you drop the sugar (at least in the context of cereal and coffee).

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, sucrose does get hydrolysed to fructose and glucose, but it's not immediate. Overloading the liver, well, maybe. Show evidence, and as usual it's dose dependent. As for orange juice, it's 10% sugar, split 50% sucrose, 25 fruc, 25 glu. Ish.

The thing is that we all know that excess sugar is a bad thing. You don't need to lie or make up shit science to prove this, and if you do it discredits your case. The food industry lobby, especially in the USA, has told plenty of lies. You don't counter this by making up your own, you do it by calling them out.

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Milk is indeed sweet, about 5% sugar as lactose. If it were a soft drink it would be in for sugar tax. ☺

8. The Chronicals

A manufactured processed food maker defending what is essentially a neurotoxin, makes sense. Gotta sell those ready meals aint ya. But I do enjoy the ignorance-come-angel-wing-wearing-innocence of said manufacturers, was big in the 80's with the World Health Organisation where you learnt most of your info.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/sucralose-splenda-safe-dangers/

Great documentary series to watch which covers the basics and the corruption of the processed meal industry

'The Men Who Made Us Fat', BBC

9. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

So, are you telling me steve67 turned me into a fat blob, wait till I can catch him.

Bloss

10. The Chronicals

He was definitely one of them :) ...

Have you watched the docs Chris? They are REALLY good, although a few years old now, so there have been a couple that have superceeded them, but he still digs deeper into the processed food corruption than most have since.

Someone mentioned Steve has a cameo appearance in them..but I've yet to confirm, they may have just meant he was 'one of those', i,e the men that made us fat.

11. blossomchris

I have seen the docs thanks, and yes it does not surprise me the way industry eeks out every part cent of a dollar.

I have generally avoided processed foods, but still need to eliminate a few others.

I think I perused Steve in one of the vids, disguised as an operative with a wig, not the best of looks.

Bloss

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I did indeed, I did it deliberately, because I am in control of the food industry and everything that you eat, mwah hahahahahaaaa. Furthermore, you cannot catch me because you are the fat blob that I made you into, while I am fit and lithe and equipped with my very own private seat on a Ryanair jet to get to work.

As for the vids, I'm the evil mastermind with the white cat.

13. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Any more personal attacks and members will be barred from posting in this thread.

andy831 likes this.
  14. blossomchris

You swine.

I'm a coming for ya!

Bloss

15. The Chronicals

16. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

And to balance, some criticism of the above mentioned author, someone not acknowledged to be a medical practitioner or scientist.

Perlmutter and his books have faced criticism from other physicians and commentators.[17] For example, Nash and Slutzky (2014) have written that "according to Grain Brain, much chronic disease originates in the widespread ingestion of carbohydrates, and these foodstuff, rather than cholesterol or saturated fats, are the premier contributor to an unhealthy individual. Numerous recent studies, however, have provided high-level evidence to the contrary."[17]

Epidemiologist David Katz, founding director of the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center at Griffin Hospital in Derby, CT, has criticized Grain Brain, calling it a "silly book" and saying "Perlmutter is way ahead of any justifiable conclusion."[18]

Microbiome expert Jonathan Eisen criticized Brain Maker in blunt terms. “To think we can magically heal diseases by changing to a gluten-free diet and taking some probiotics is idiotic...It resembles more the presentation of a snake-oil salesman than that of a person interested in actually figuring out how to help people.”[1]

Perlmutter's advice to parents that they should ask their pediatricians about scheduling childhood vaccinations separately[1] is contrary to advice from the CDC[19] and the American Academy of Pediatrics.[20]

David Perlmutter is listed by Quackwatch as a promoter of questionable health products.[21]

Source Wikipedia.

17. The Chronicals

Anyone who believes in 'Quackwatch', are themselves questionable. Sadly, with those that do, we see a continuation of illness and disease and poor health as the ignorance forbids them to open their minds into other concepts. These people often hide behind science, yet fail to realise science evolves. New science is learned and old science often becomes defunct.

Without starting the science is wrong debate, and bringing up things like the Thalidomide atrocity, its best its left there otherwise you will get a strop on and delete my posts.

18. The Chronicals

19. Whaleblue

Whaleblue The Mighty Deoxitiser

I think we can all agree on one thing.

January is indeed a tricky little blighter.

I say “little”. In fact it’s one of the larger months. If I could lay my hands on the idiot who put 31 days in it I’d, I’d...!!!!

blossomchris likes this.
  20. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yeah, it's a toughy. I'm not losing weight just at the moment, I'm just not in the mood. Living in a hotel is a pain un less they do great food and you can eat tasty starters. It's not here. I'm exercising though.