1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Health Club

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Whaleblue, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

well...done 5 days of continuous exercise this week...maybe a first for me?

had a strained lower back so held back for a while, but thus, this week done -
    monday - kettlebell
    60 minute class and used a 24kg kettlebell for the full duration snatches, cleans, press etc...also did planks which I found hard - as I always do...

normally tuesday is a day off, but there is a yoga class of a friday, so mixed things up a bit, and did legs - 10x10 legpress @ 140kg, then 3km on the treadmill @ 17 minutes including 2 minute walk

wednesday - push
    5x5 dumbell benchpress@ 40kg - was hard tho..
    3x10 cable flyes @ 11.25kg
    3x10 side cable raises @ 8.75kg
    3x10 crossover cable face pulls @ 6.25kg
    then I normally do 10x10 burpees supersetted (but this may have caused my lower back issues?) with 10x5 bar dips, and 10x5 kettlebell press @ 20kg - but due to my lower back strain - i decided to do pressups...managed 97 pressups, but stopped the kettlebell press after 5 sets, and slacked a bit on the bar dips..

thursday
    pull - 5x5 pullups, but felt hard
    10x12 cable rows @ 48.75kg but felt easy
    3x8 wide lat pulldowns - palm facing inwards @ 68kg
    5x5 narrow grip lap pulldowns @ 75kg - felt hard tho
    then did 5x20 kettlebell swings, and 5 left cleans and 5 right cleans - all at 28kg

friday
    90 minute yoga class - first one since 2003 ish...was hard, but fun! hard to keep balance, and also legs straight up in the air.. :D

but if I can keep this up every week then great...and why not?

HarryB likes this.
  2. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

A bad lower back is caused by dumbell bench press. Because you've got to get the dumbells in a starting position, and there is an unseen shear on your spine as you lower your back.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yes, tho I've had this off and on for years now and this occurrence happened before xmas and I woke up with it... then it was getting better then I was doing some single arm cable rows and that twinged it again... but fine now :)

my technique for the dumbbells is to do a deadlift to bring them up then I sit down with them on my knees...i then raise my knees up whilst leaning back - thus bringing the dumbbells into their starting position... it's only a small gym and the alternative is to use the smith machine.. :(

crimsondonkey likes this.
  4. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

I'm exhausted just reading that Mr C. I used to do a lot of circuit training in my younger days but I can't manage it any more. I might try swimming again, maybe....

Mr Cat likes this.
  5. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Did you mean to say a bad lower back could be caused by improper use of DBS when bench pressing and other movements; and most likely caused by a range of other factors?

6. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

When’s it leg day?

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

tuesday :) I normally do lunges (10x10) with 2x20kg dumbbells too, but want my back to be 100% better first..

8. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

Not really. Obviously there are variables because some people have bad backs where others don't doing the same thing.

I was addressing the exercises listed. Heavy dumbell flat bench pressing is a sure one to help push a lower spine as the only way to get into position is to lower back from resting them on your thighs. As you roll and pull them to your chest you are pushing your tailbone.
    You can have a pair of spotters hand you the dumbells on the flat, but most people don't have that option. I would think burpees help loosen compressed discs once your lower back spasm has subsided.

9. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Sorry to be pedantic, you said ‘a lower bad back is caused by dumbbell bench press’, which is quite an absolute and incorrect statement.

I don’t particularly understand the rolling technique you mention, but most people in the lying position hinge the DBs quickly into position which negates the potential shear stress you are concerned about.

This is probably why there are very few reports of such injuries and studies into the causation as stated.

Presumably you’re really not keen on the modern trend for barbell hip thrusters as the shear stresses are longer in duration and occur with much greater loads?

10. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Do press-ups instead. They are awesome exercises, and the progressions through diamond press-ups and ring press ups are great.

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I managed 97 last Wednesday supersetted with bar dips and kettlebell press (in 10 sets) as a finisher... will make sure I'm able to complete the full sets then I'll progress...

unfortunately 40kg dumbbells are the heaviest they have at the gym..

12. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

That's what I do for dumbell press, similar for shoulder press on the knees then bump them up to the starting position one at a time.

I think I am knackering my back by arching it when doing bench press, must keep it flat!

Pete

Chops54 and Mr Cat like this.
  13. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Then of course you can progress through archer press ups and hand stand press ups and even planche press-ups. But the various press ups and dips on the rings are exceptional.

Mr Cat likes this.
  14. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

There are lots of ways of making the most efficient fatigue and metabolic trigger at a set weight point, you probably know most of these like slower concentric and eccentric tempo, pause reps, 1.5 reps, maintaining continuous tension, hard flex for 5 seconds and then 5 reps, 4 secs flex then 4 reps etc, as well as reducing rest time between sets.

15. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

As an ex competitive gymnast I can vouch for this, as well as making full use of isometric tension as part of stressing the muscle. Rings are superb for all round development of the target and auxiliary muscles in a way that DBs and BBs cannot reach within a compound movement.

16. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yes, |I used to have some gymnastic rings in the garage of my old house...that was a steep but effective learning curve doing dips and press-ups on them, never mastered the muscle up as I couldn't do the false grip, but would love to revisit that again...

17. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Use some Krell amps

Dozey and Mr Cat like this.
  18. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

This is a classic technique problem. It can stem from trainees sometimes confusing goals from completing loaded movements, ie typically using powerlifting techniques to 'get the weight up at all costs' vs training with a load to stimulate a strength/ hypertrophy response. I've trained a lot of people at a local gym which is run and frequented by competitive powerlifters, and what I frequently have to do is stop them copying what the powerlifters do!

Assuming you're not in competition, and have strength/ hypertrophy goals , then one of the key set of cues in a bench press is getting the feet and legs in the right position, and pushing the lower back into the bench whilst pinching the shoulders back and ensuring the shoulders sit below the line of the chest. This as well as other techniques (not for expanding on now) ensure that the movement and load is targeted to the chest itself. I find (improper technique)benching gives rise to more shoulder issues than lower back but again its all wrapped up in variation in form and technique.

It's imperative that when performing the bench press that the core is held tightly and supported by the bench, to prevent it being a lower back movement!

Other tips if you're suffering with tightness in the lower back, are to use a slight incline on the bench (say 15 deg), and to ensure if you are short that your feet can be planted on the floor without creating extension in the lower back. A typical way of doing this is to put some 20kg plates on the floor under your feet and raise your knees above the line of the bench.

Pete MB&D and Mr Cat like this.
  19. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I think I should start to realise I am 60 in 3 weeks time and should start slowing down a bit!

I was trying to work up to a set of 20 chins without resting before I was 60, but it doesn't look like I will now.

Pete

20. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Not necessarily. How many continuous chins can you do at the moment?