1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Health Club

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Whaleblue, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

16 and a half on a good day.

@84 ish kilograms body weight.

Pete

Nearly Gym time after a week off so probably less today.

Mr Cat and crimsondonkey like this.
  2. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Well that certainly sounds pretty spectacular - the % of the pop'n that can complete a chin/ pull up at that level is incredibly small. I'd also work off the logic that if you can do 16 then you can do 20.

Just a bit of fact finding first so that we are talking about the same thing -
    1. Hand position - palms facing you =chin up; palms facing away = pull up?
    2. Start position - dead hang, arms fully extended, no momentum between each rep?
    3. Finish position - chest at nipple level reaches bar height (ie higher than chin at height of bar) ?
    4. Tempo - about 1 second to go up (concentric) and 1-2 seconds controlled decent (eccentric)?

Do you roughly know what body fat % you are - I'm not nosey or judgemental! There's a strong relationship between these factors and pull up rep range.

Mr Cat likes this.
  3. Pete MB&D

Bars that are parallel and shoulder width apart so neutral grip, full hang, no momentum, no kiping, chin above hands finish.

I did 3 light sets of squats then one set of base pulley rows while waiting for the rack to be free.

1st 14 2nd 8 3rd 5

I don't know my body fat, I guess 10-15%

Pete

crimsondonkey likes this.
  4. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Okay that's helpful. 20 is such a great milestone, probably less than 2% of the population can do that so it makes it special when you can.

You might have seen this, ignore some of the form in terms of momentum but the range of motion is pretty good (not strictly perfect though)

I think if you can do 16 in good form then 20 is definitely achievable. Without seeing or knowing much about your form and technique here is the advice I give to people and have followed myself (I also aim to be able to do 20 full range of motion slow chins, and currently on 10).

Conscious you may know or already employ much of this -

1. Use your back not your arms! Tilt your chest toward the bar and focus on bringing your shoulder blades together and elbows down.

2. Frequency - train pull ups as often as possible to get a broad base of volume to work from. Put a bar up in your kitchen doorway and pay a tax of 5 pull ups per pass and you'll accumulate lots of daily volume!

3. Variation - if you can use different grips, so pronated/ supinated; wide vs narrow, etc to hit auxiliary muscles differently

4. Focus on the negative! I mean the eccentric decent. Do not let yourself drop but fight gravity and get 2-4 seconds on the negative for some of your sets

5. Cycle intensity - don't always train to failure! Your CNS will eventually whup you so work with it. Some days go for high volume but sets that leave you with a rep or two 'in the tank'; and others go for those last reps but do this less often (max once per week)

6. Train your scaps! Pull down machine performance does not transfer to pull ups. Use hanging scapular pulls to strengthen and activate your back. Also useful before trying higher intensity sets to fire your CNS and grease the groove for whats to come

7. Lose weight! A drop of weight from 15%bf to 10% would mean you wouldn't be lifting about 10 pounds per rep, or 160 pounds cumulatively by the time you get to your 16th rep, that's got to be worth at least a rep by itself!

8. Technique and form - always the answer. Throw a few sets in where you are uber strict on range of motion, tempo and form. Your body learns more from these than jerking out greater numbers of sub optimal reps

5. Pete MB&D

I usually do the second set slowly and strictly and always concentrate on pulling my elbows down, I will try different grips and some different exercises.
    If I can find the belt I can do some weighted ones again, I used to do the middle set with +10Kg.

Pete

Mr Cat likes this.
  6. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Were these sets to failure and how long was the rest period in between? It looks like they were to failure by the numbers?

You'd get greater overall volume if you aimed for 10 in the first and were very likely to get 10 in the second. On the 3rd set you might surprise yourself with another ten but I would bet you'd achieve more than 27 overall by stopping short of failure. Especially if you allow 2 mins rest between sets.

To be quite honest with you, weighted pull ups have their place but are less effective at building stamina for long sets (over 10-12 reps).
    If your goal is 20 reps then building a large base overall volume is more effective.

Mr Cat likes this.
  7. Pete MB&D

All sets to failure and about 1 mins rest between sets.
    I have to get everything done in 1 hour inc shower food etc.

Pete

8. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

In which case I strongly recommend limiting failure sets to once per week/ once per two weeks.

If you can also get 2 mins between sets. maybe fit another of your planned sets in this rest period, ie superset with bench press to make best use of limited time.

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Hell of a day.

Paid off my mortgage in the morning and this afternoon finally dipped below 16st (from 17st 6lbs in July)

[​IMG]

It’s all down to retirement and a new dog.
    [​IMG]

She’s #backsidebetsy on Instagram

martin clark, HarryB, seagull and 9 others like this.
  10. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Great work. Well done

11. Whaleblue

Whaleblue The Mighty Deoxitiser

Nice picture, nice dog and nice progress.

Sorted.

12. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Many thanks, though in all honesty, it is all down to change in lifestyle rather than anything I can take a great deal of credit for. Working for a living really is bad for your health!

13. Whaleblue

It is.

134.3kg. Struggling still, but not giving up.

14. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Good work, keep it going. I can recommend getting a dog if you have the time and space to walk it. Despite driving me up the wall at times, mine’s changed my life for the better

15. Whaleblue

I’d love to be able to have a dog, but we both work - I currently average over 45 hours a week. I actually love my job, it’s just a little busy at the moment!

However, I’m just making excuses, so I’ll just try to relax a bit and get back on track.

crimsondonkey and blossomchris like this.
  16. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Working, family, stress it can all make it difficult to eat well and find time to exercise.

I work something like 50-60 hours a week with travel frequently taking me over that. I don’t find it hard to manage what I eat (the big vice is being disciplined with alcohol especially when tired/ stressed).

Finding time and motivation to exercise can be tough but I’ve learned to make the best use of time available whether it’s 10 mins or an hour. I tend to view it as me time or a way of de-stressing so it’s never a chore.

<15 mins is Tabata
    30 mins is a run
    45 mins is a weights session

Also having had a bad back about 8 yrs ago I always get up and do 5-10 mins stretching and yoga to prevent getting another one.

Mr Cat, blossomchris and Whaleblue like this.
  17. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

A tad less than last week, so around 15st 12.

I have just realised ks234 started at the same weight as me and we have both lost around the same amount of fat.

Bloss

Mr Cat, crimsondonkey and Whaleblue like this.
  18. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

11 stone 11 lb this week. Another pound off, but not really trying. Body fat down to 19%. A couple of runs managed as well, one 5k and a 7.5k. Hopefully another 5k later. Trying to take it easy, there’s still a niggle in that foot, but ice seems to keep it in check. It may be something that takes a while to go away.

19. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Biggest week on the bike since my comeback last April. Managed 467km but weight still hovering around 72kg. 71.5kg today. Just a few pounds to go to hit ambitious target a few months early. Got to get there first though. Frustrating.

20. Whaleblue

134.7kg 6:1 this week. This is just embarrassing.