1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Health Club

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Whaleblue, Sep 6, 2018.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, exercise is a winner for more than just your body. In addition, it doesn't have to be hard. It's hard to lever yourself out of the chair, we all know that, but it only has to be a 20 minute brisk stroll around the block to be doing you good in every way.

Edit: How about "If I go out 3 nights a week and have a brisk walk for half an hour then on Saturday I can have a pint/Steak and Chips/whatever takes your fancy"?

crimsondonkey and lordsummit like this.
  2. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

15st 4lbs and holding. Well over 2st now lost.

Much the same as before, 3 mins on bike, 5 mins on rower. Smaller plates of food, but alas larger/fuller chalices.
    Wine was always going to be the main issue for me, but nevertheless the quack is still pleased with all blood tests,
    may even come off the BP tabs if progress continues. Tis' a bloody hard fight, but as others say, the benefits far outweigh
    the efforts.

Bloss

3. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Managed my first band assisted muscle up today! Really stoked! And it was only a red band (about 25 -35 lbs assistance).

crimsondonkey likes this.
  4. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Is that when they're pointed straight ahead ie 90 deg to your torso, or when you begin to point your toes upward and narrow the angle below 90 deg?

5. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I guess if I try to go past 90 degrees, or when I fatigue.

6. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I think my job does the equivalent of the brisk stroll in an evening, if I were to take up exercise the only type I've ever been keen on is where it has a competitive edge, so things like badminton, squash, tennis, five a side etc I've done in the past, where the point isn't the exercise it's playing the game. Running, walking, cycling etc I find really tough as I just find them tedious beyond belief.

The portion control has been tough but not impossible because I haven't stopped eating meals I like, such as pasta, curries and chinese etc. just less of them. I don't really drink in the week anyway due to the early starts and amount of driving I do, since doing this I've also hardly drank at the weekend either, which is also tough. The only thing I have pretty much completely cut out is bread of all kinds, which has been really hard because I love it.

Long term I'm hoping to find a balance between it all, when I get to a weight I want to keep at I'll experiment with what I can and can't get away with to maintain it. I definitely don't want to rely on exercise as a crutch to get through this because I know for a fact that is an unobtainable reality, exercise outside of work is always going to be sporadic at best for me.

7. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I sympathise. Running can be boring, and doing it after a day's work is tough.

I do calisthenics because it is fun learning new skills- I could never spend time in the gym lifting weights. Also with calisthenics I can do it anywhere there is a floor or a bar - even watching TV. On the diet front I found it interesting to experiment with reducing carbs and increasing protein, but that's a very individual thing.

I guess everyone needs to find the thing to provide motivation and enjoyment.

crimsondonkey likes this.
  8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Sounds fair enough, you have to do what works for you. Some people on here have recommended a breakfast of walnuts and yogurt, that would make me lose weight, it sounds bloody awful. They like it though. Horses for courses.

blossomchris likes this.
  9. matt j

matt j pfm Member

If I can pluck up the courage I may see of there's either a squash or badminton club or similar at my local leisure centre, I've even considered the local driving range as a bit of exercise and to prevent ceasing up, with the positive side effect of being able to whack the shit out of something.