1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

PFM Night view mode?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rack Kit, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Just wondering if there is one for viewing late at night?

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No, not at present. I’ll be upgrading pfm to the latest version of Xenforo, which is noticeably different, soon after the upcoming server migration (likely next week) so may think about it sometime after that. I’ve not been motivated previously as I hate them as they make my eyes go really funny (I end up seeing horizontal stripes everywhere) but I realise a lot of folk seem to like them so I should provide an option. Annoyingly I can’t even directly import the existing scheme to the latest version of XF so there will be countless hours of tedious fiddling just to get back roughly where we are now, so it may be a fair while off!

3. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Is this based on the blue light filter principle that modern phones and OSs have?
    I use this filter on all my devices to great effect.

4. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Cant you reduce tha brightness of your monitor / screen

ToTo Man and Joe like this.
  5. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I may be wrong, but it sounds like a useless additional complication. I have never felt the need for this.

6. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

I'd be really keen on a night mode feature.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I just put my phone into night mode. Then all sites are gentle on the eyes.

dweezil and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

OP, don't you just use the night mode on your device? Or is there not one on what you use?

9. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I read something the other day that was debunking the whole blue light thing altogether. In theory my glasses are blue light friendly for screen work. I have no idea whether it has made any difference.

My phone is set go onto night mode, the laptop not.

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Late at night I go to sleep.....

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I understood the ‘night mode’ request upthread to be the current trend for bright text on a dark background rather than the slightly yellow tint of Apple’s ‘night mode’ (which I use after 9pm on my iPad). That’s what I thought the thread was about. I’d not consider a ‘night tint’ mode as that’s already built into the type of devices that need it (phones, tablets etc). The decision is whether I want to eventually produce a ‘dark mode’, i.e. light text, black background or not. The answer is maybe, but it won’t be for a long while as I've a lot of work coming up with the migration and then migration to XenForo 2.x.

PS I’m somewhat curious as to why I find modern ‘dark mode’ so utterly unreadable and even painful to view given I started my computer journey long before Windows was even a thing using green-screen or amber monochrome CRT monitors etc, which I always liked, though never used in a dark room. I suspect some may be a viewing distance thing as I am short sighted and hate varifocals, so tend to read my phone and iPad up close without glasses at all. Certainly the end result of visiting a ‘dark mode’ website is that I end up with horizontal lines imprinted on my eyes so if I look at say a plain white wall it looks like a venetian blind and that effect takes several minutes to pass. I really hate it! I have my screen brightness set very low too, so it puzzles me why I find it so uncomfortable.

12. Heath

Heath pfm Member

Wouldn't it make more sense to install a 'dark mode' or 'night mode' browser plugin so it works for all websites, rather than do it on specific sites?

vuk likes this.
  13. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Me too, so much so that if I'm on a site that has white text on a dark background I have to highlight the text or use an iPad's reader view to cope with it.

14. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

But the PFM page stays white so defeats the object.

15. gintonic

not on my phone it doesn't! it tones down the blue and the backlight, so you get a kind of cream yellowish background instead of white. It certainly isn't white and it is kinder on the eyes.

Are you referring to a mode where the background is dark and the text white? That is "dark mode" not night mode. Can actually be harsher on the eyes for many due to the high contrast.

16. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Yeah, that's the one - dark mode!

Thread title edit needed Tony.

Cheers,

Rack.

17. gintonic

......forget that

18. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

No phone settings can turn the PFM white to Black with white lettering otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread.

19. gintonic

browser settings can - I have just done it with Chrome on Android.

If you are running chrome;

enter "chrome://flags/" in your browser address bar. In the "search flags" bar, search for "dark". And you'll get a load of stuff that allows to control the background colour etc.........just write down the default settings before you fiddle......and dont blame me if your phone breaks

20. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Running iPhone gin...