1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018 part II

Discussion in 'photo' started by Pete MB&D, Jun 9, 2018.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

[​IMG]

from the cement factory

title: willoughby

TimF and Lefty like this.
  2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Living on the edge, Orford Ness lighthouse

[​IMG]

stevied, TimF, Dev and 6 others like this.
  3. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tony.

very nice -- the sky worked out well for you there. how wide is that lens?

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Hi Vuk,

Thanks. The photo was taken with my 16-35mm f/4.0 at 16mm and f/10. I was kneeling on loose, wet shingle in a strong breeze.

Enjoyed it so much I'm going back tomorrow but without the guide, so hopefully I'll have more time for each shot.

5. John Barry

John Barry pfm Member

Forest floor, Brecons_1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dev, Milan, Tony Lockhart and 2 others like this.
  6. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

stevied, TimF, dan m and 6 others like this.
  7. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Dev, Lefty, vuk and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pete MB&D

Tony, have you been to Dungeness?

Pete

9. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

No, but our guide mentioned it a couple of times.

I've so much on my doorstep here that it might be a while before I venture out of East Anglia for some photography!

Pete MB&D likes this.
  10. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

Love this Richard - dripping with atmosphere!

Here's one from a wander over at Ashridge Estate earlier today :)

[​IMG]

Fallen by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Sony A7rII / Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8

Lefty

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  11. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Thanks Amar - you're most kind :)

Liking fallen too, wonderful light.

How are you finding the A7RII? I had a brief play with a used one at LCE the other day, felt quite different to my A7II (more solid, responsive). Managed to walk away - just(!) - but the R does appear to offer super vfm for the IQ on offer.

12. Lefty

@Gromit - thank you :)

As for the A7rII - I'm very happy with it! As you say, the image quality is stunning and when you factor in how little they can be picked up for s/h, it's a great buy. However, there are a few caveats.

The first you are probably aware of with the menu system / UI. It certainly takes some getting used to, but on the plus side it's very configurable. The second downside is the battery life. To be fair, it's no worse than most other mirrorless cameras, but it is a downside when comparing it to something like my old D800E which could go for well over 1000 shots on a single charge. The third is the cost and availability of lenses. Despite the lens lineup starting to fill out, it's still nothing like as comprehensive as the Nikon F offerings. However, this is starting to change as both Sigma and Tamron are now starting to make native FE mount lenses. (And Samyang also make some great glass at reasonable prices with AF). Also, it is possible to adapt lenses to the Sony pretty successfully. You definitely don't get native performance and I wouldn't want to rely on it for moving subjects, but it's easily good enough for slow, purposeful work. Finally, I wouldn't trust the camera out in the rain. They say it's moisture resistant but in anything other than light drizzle, I'd be wary.

As for the positives, they are numerous. In body stabilisation, Eye AF (this is pure sorcery!), fantastic EVF, knock your socks off image quality - (the files are stunnning!), excellent colour rendition (to my eyes - I know others feel differently), tilting screen and small / lightweight.

All in all - I'm really happy with my decision to switch. In fact, I recently bought two new lenses (90mm Macro and 16-35 f4) so despite me having the Nikon Z7 on pre-order, I think I'll now be staying with Sony.

Hope this helps :)

Lefty

Gromit likes this.
  13. Pete MB&D

I think you need to go its a fantastic place.

Pete

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  14. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

It's a long way!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  15. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i am taking this liberty, partly because you seemed OK on another picture and partly because it just had to be done ;-) the subject is great, but this is one of those situations where the colour (green as bad as it gets in the yellowy-brown baby-poo range) simply detracts.

here is my B&W suggestion (played a bit with curves/contrast, but it would be even better starting with the original file)...

[​IMG]

16. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

Gromit I really like the B&W stage photo.

These were from a short walk this afternoon around the East portal of the Moffatt Tunnel - a 6 mile rail tunnel under the continental divide through the Rockies, opened in 1927. Fabulous place. Well, I did promise more Aspen. Finally got that wide lens doing something I am more happy with.

[​IMG]Rails by Ian123_running, on Flickr

[​IMG]Horses by Ian123_running, on Flickr

[​IMG]Cabin by Ian123_running, on Flickr

stevied, TimF, Dev and 1 other person like this.
  17. Lefty

I don't mind at all - in fact, I rather like the result :) Might have a play with doing something similar myself.

I love your description of the original image and its 'yellowy-brown baby-poo' greens :D I think its just a difference of preferred aesthetic. I like a painterly feel to my woodland images which takes me away from reality. It's escapism.

Lefty

18. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Gromit, Pete MB&D and Lefty like this.
  19. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

It does - hugely, thank you. :)

Lefty likes this.
  20. Tantris

Tantris pfm Member

Another from Man Mo temple, Hong Kong;
    [​IMG]