1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018 part II

Discussion in 'photo' started by Pete MB&D, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Been digitising some Fuji Film slides from 1984. This was from a Yashica/Tamron long zoom combo, copied into my Nikon 610 with a slide converter on the front of my 60mm macro and then played with in Affinity Photo. I'm pleased at the result. There's a few more on my Flikr site if anyone wants a look. I didn't want to modern, digital a look to them. We bused around North west India and Rajasthan for 6 weeks, Rosie with this camera and I with a Contax RTS abd 50mm Zeiss T*.
    [​IMG]Kulu river girl by John Dutfield, on Flickr

Paulicus, Lefty and Tony Lockhart like this.
  2. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

3. kcc123

kcc123 pfm Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yurivv likes this.
  4. kcc123

kcc123 pfm Member

Grossglockner, Austria's highest mountain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ff1d1l, yurivv, Paulicus and 2 others like this.
  5. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

6. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Lefty, Gromit and Paulicus like this.
  7. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

8. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

Viewpoint from Derwentwater looking onto the unmistakable humps of Catbells in the distance :)

[​IMG]

Derwentwater by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Sony A7rII / 16-35mm f4

Lefty

mentalp, TimF, yurivv and 5 others like this.
  9. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Amar - that's gorgeous. I particularly like the unforced colour palette, so natural, you really have got that RII working beautifully for you.

10. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

[​IMG]Small by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Olympus Pen F/Oly 45-1.2 Pro/sooc jpeg (colour profile 2)

Lefty likes this.
  11. Lefty

Thank you Richard! I was guilty of having overlooked Derwentwater on account of it being too popular / busy. It was actually the most enjoyable overall day I had in The Lakes. I racked up many happy miles wandering around that day :)

The sensor on the rII is just magical. Sony get a hard time about their colour rendition but from where I'm sitting, it looks pretty spot on to me. An rIII is undoubtedly on the cards at some point, but I'm more than happy to carry on with rII for the foreseeable future. It has passed every test I've put it through (including biblical rain in The Lakes) with flying colours.

Lefty

Gromit likes this.
  12. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

There's definitely a certain something about having a big sensor with lots of MP - a sense of 'ease' perhaps? I certainly couldn't complain about the results from my A7II and that was the same sensor as in the original A7.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't been looking at cameras with larger sensors. The Pen F and EM1.2 surprise me on a daily basis as to how Olympus have managed to squeeze their performance from such a small sensor, but sometimes 'there ain't no substitute for cubes'. Good, clean RIII's seem to be hovering just above £2k at the moment which is one hell of a camera for the money - the only downside, for me, is that it'd end up being my only camera. A wonderful tool for thoughtful, staged photos (yours are all the proof I need!) but I'm not overly sure how it would work for general walkabout/family/holiday stuff? How forgiving is that high MP count in such situations?

13. Lefty

I can totally understand where you're coming from. For example, the D800E (as good as a camera as it is) was not the camera for family situations. The main reason for this (aside from its large size) was the high MP count combined with a violent mirror slap. This meant that you had to use faster shutter speeds than with other cameras to ensure sharp images. The Olympus (I can imagine) must be the opposite of this, thanks to its superb in body stabilisation and lower MP count. The X100 series cameras are also great here due to their gentle leaf shutter. The good news is that thanks to its in body stabilisation, the Sony is MUCH better than the D800E in that regard. Also, couple it with a suitable lens (The Samyang 35/2.8 pancake is wonderful) and you've got a pocket rocket. (see photo below illustrating that lens on my rII. Having said that, the Sony UI does get in the way here, robbing it of much of the magic of the X100 series and their wonderful form factor / UI and general gorgeousness. But to compensate, you have that amazing sensor. Decisions decisions....

Hope this helps :)

[​IMG]

14. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Many thanks for such a useful and informative post, Amar - it does indeed help, whether that's a good thing for my wallet or not, I'm not sure! :D

Seriously though, that Samyang does look the part - similar lines and form to using the wonderful little Panny 20-1.7 on the E-M1. Whilst it doesn't always get the kindest of press, I found the FE50-1.8 made for a tight package on the A7II. I may have got a particularly good copy as mine was nice and sharp, even if it wasn't the quickest in terms of focusing. The FE 85-1.8 though was a peach, and not much larger than the 50.

Good point though re IBIS, I'm really not sure I could live without it now. Of course there are those who'd say it's unnecessary, but it's allowed me to get images which would've been impossible without. The 2nd gen IBIS on the E-M1 Mk2 is just crazy. The thought of a 42MP full-frame mirrorless camera with well-implemented IBIS as a helping hand is definitely one to chew on. :)

15. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Nice work, Amar

16. Lefty

@Paulicus - Thank you :)

Haha - the rIII a very tempting prospect that's for sure. I've only had a brief play with one but it was obvious how much better it is. Larger hand grip, AF joystick, faster AF (not that rII is bad in that regard) and much better battery life (reported). For the slow / purposeful stuff, it's not a significant improvement, as the sensor is the same, but I definitely want one! I didn't get to properly test out the IBIS, but one thing I will say is that the IBIS on the rII definitely isn't as good as the Olympus offering. It's there and definitely works, but it could be better. Hopefully that's one area where there the rIII is able to offer an improvement as well. If I were buying one, I'd be importing it from Panamoz: £2000 new with a 3 year UK warranty.

Thanks for the info on the FE50 and 85. I am currently planning my next lens move and a native 50 is definitely on the cards. I am obviously drawn to the Sony-Zeiss 55/1.8, but it's not cheap. There's also the option of the Sigma ART lenses in native FE mount now, but they aren't small / light. The Sony lens selection is gradually improving but is still the system's biggest weakness right now. What I really want are holy trinity (14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8) offerings from Tamron / Sigma in native FE mount and each available for no more than £1500 new.

Lefty

17. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Claudio Alario, who crafts fine, ageworthy Dolcetto, Barbera and Barolo from his vineyards in Diano d'Alba and Serralunga in Piemonte's Langhe region. I first met him in 1989, when his mother and father were mixed farmers producing hazelnuts, beef, cherries, a few crops and a little wine, which was sold to the local co-operative. All has now been turned over to wine production, and he now makes his wine in a smart new cuverie and cellar. A fine address, I love his vibrantly fresh Dolcettos, which defy gravity and the rules by ageing brilliantly.

ff1d1l, Lefty and Gromit like this.
  18. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Woah...that's tempting, thanks for the tip (I think - this could spell danger!). :D

They're doing the 7III for £1670 which is a damn good price too, and a lot cheaper than I can get it from JL with Partner discount.

19. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

20. yurivv

yurivv pfm Member