1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018

Discussion in 'photo' started by Lefty, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

They were there grooming for a couple of minutes. The first two were a couple of seconds apart reversed in sequence - the last about 30s later. I took a few more, but chose these for the eyes, mainly.

2. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Shopping Baskets, Pete. I like shopping baskets

vuk likes this.
  3. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

vuk likes this.
  4. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

[​IMG]
    In Full Bloom
    by Paul Wood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T1 - Mitakon Zhongyi Lens Turbo II M42-FX, Pentax Super Takumar 50mm F1.4

Rico, Dev and ian123running like this.
  5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

paul.

that picture looks dated ;-)

Paulicus likes this.
  6. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

[​IMG]

Paulicus, Lefty and Gromit like this.
  7. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

8. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Milan and eternumviti like this.
  9. eguth

eguth pfm Member

10. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

[​IMG]

davidjt likes this.
  11. Pete MB&D

Dev and Gromit like this.
  12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

13. Pete MB&D

vuk, Gromit and Lefty like this.
  14. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

no complaints -- you lot enabled this travesty...

[​IMG]

[ leica m6 tri-x ]

15. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

[​IMG]
    Thiepval, Somme, March 2018. Nikon D7200 Nikon 17-55 f2.8 Photoshop/Nik ColorEfex

[​IMG]
    Thiepval, Somme, March 2018. Nikon F3, Nikkon 24-120 f3.5-5.6, Tri-X 400, Ilfotec DD-X, Vuescan, Photoshop/Nik ColorEFex

[​IMG]

Thiepval, Somme, March 2018. Nikon F3, Nikkon 24-120 f3.5-5.6, Tri-X 400, Ilfotec DD-X, Vuescan, Photoshop/Nik ColorEFex

I would love to hear any thoughts and comments.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    TimF, Coda II, Lefty and 5 others like this.
  16. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Toby, both photos are excellent.

I lingered and pondered over the bottom photo as the trees have a bit more space, the gradual dissolve of the trees disappearing into the whitish aspic ticks my boxes, too!

17. Pete MB&D

I prefer the top one, the trees continue right out of the frame.
    But both seem to be leaning to the right.

Pete

18. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

I like both. Strong and simple. Pushes my buttons :)

As Paul says the bottom one appeals as the trees have more room to breath in the frame. I also prefer the fact you can't see the far trees in the left of the frame as I find they are a bit distracting in the top image.

The top one appeals as I believe (could be wrong) that you have been able to straighten the image to a greater extent as there is less of the horizon in the image meaning you can align to the frontmost tree without the horizon then being off if you see what I mean. (Whereas on the bottom image, the tree is leaning slightly more to the right). I alsp prefer the slightly warmer toning (could be wrong as viewing on phone?) On this image

On balance, my preference is for the bottom image.

Lefty

19. Pete MB&D

Get the 3rd tree in vertical and it looks better, adjusting the first tree makes everything seem to lean the other way.

Pete

20. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Thanks Paul & Pete. For me the film version was definitive at full resolution, less sure at this size. It's more organic, and melancholy.

I've photographed this row of poplars dozens of times from this spot, never been quite happy with the result, mainly the sky hasn't quite hit the potential. The scene has also been photographed by far more esteemed 'Somme' photographers than myself - Mike St.Maur Sheil, Brian Harris and Peter Cattrell (who printed for Fay Godwin, and still does her catalogue for exhibitions) amongst them.

I think I photographed these at the opposite ends of the same day in early March. I have only now noticed that I must have stood precisely in my earlier footsteps, and I've made a lot of footsteps there!

Pete, I think the near trees do lean a bit, the frame is straight. There is probably a bit of WA distortion though. I remember straightening an earlier take, and actually preferring it leaning a little into the centre.

Thanks, Amar, you posted whilst I was compiling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.