1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2018

Discussion in 'photo' started by Lefty, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

just got back from a camera repair place were they would not clean the sensor, but did sell me an over-priced kit to try myself. rentals were $250/day, which, after 3 days (the remaining duration of my trip), would end up costing more than the camera i was substituting for.

anyhow, my cleaning appears to have worked.

btw -- vancouver is a challenging place to photograph. many bad city planning and architectural decisions have been made.

2. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

Rather enjoying my black and white botanicals at the moment, so here's another :)

[​IMG]

Taraxacum Officinale by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon D800E / Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro

Lefty

Edit: for some reason, posting here seems to have degraded the image. I highly recommend you view the image on Flickr and zoom in to view the details.

@vuk - glad to hear you were able to resolve the sensor cleaning issue. Although you seem to have managed just fine with your phone and taken some nice images :)

Gromit likes this.
  3. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

yes indeed, and well seen, Vuk.
    It's missing a central subject; the longboat in the centre is too distant, the boatsheds and red yacht frame you up for... nothing. I chose the 16:9 crop (robbing just a little from the sides), as the extreme low foreground wasn't contributing much, and I already had enough sky. It's approximating thirds; banding boatshed, yachts, and hills into the central (horizontal) third, and boatshed on the right hand (vertical) third.
    Unfortunately I hadn't time to try more perspectives, walking around the beach, or trying other focal lengths/lenses.
    Ultimately, it's sort of a half-baked cake with frosting. ;)

4. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

lefty.

only the panoramic one was from the phone. those others i posted were from before i got my sensor dirty.

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

call me crazy, but this is the picture i have been chasing the past 3 evenings:

[​IMG]

i could probably spend the rest of my days taking pictures in there if i managed to sneak past the guards.

6. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Gromit and Lefty like this.
  7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

paul.

why would a city allow that?

8. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

Vuk, it's in a small market town called Ulverston (just up the road from me), which is the birth place of Stan Laurel. There's a small museum as well, where one can while away the hours watching old black and white movies from the era of these two.

There's an appreciation society (American) called Sons of the Desert they paid for it. They're a bit odd /fanatics if you ask me. They hold a convention here occasionally and wander around town dressed up in fez's and other garb :D

PS. There's a large mural which I hadn't seen before, which I'll post up shortly...

9. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i see. well, i rally shouldn't be judging others - when i get back home, i'l show you the pinnacle of kitsch that we have downtown.

10. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Paulicus likes this.
  11. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

[​IMG]
    Do that again
    by Paul Wood, on Flickr

I do the first two of these gags on my grandchildren...it can be quite funny

12. ErikL

ErikL pfm Member

Did you try a Japadog? ;-)

13. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i have been tempted twice -- there is a stand about 30 metres from my hotel entrance. should i go for it?

14. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

15. ErikL

ErikL pfm Member

Of course.

16. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

17. Paulicus

Paulicus pfm Member

eternumviti and vuk like this.
  18. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Lefty likes this.
  19. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Canopy and folding hangar doors

[​IMG]

vuk, Paulicus, Lefty and 2 others like this.
  20. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

[​IMG]

Morval - Le Transloy, Somme

A first ever stab at these things, which are ubiquitous now in Picardy. The wide angle really shrinks them. They are vast!

Rico, Gromit, Paulicus and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.