1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Discussion in 'photo' started by Gromit, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

@Gromit - you've just spelled out all the reasons I am looking to change to the RIII. As much as I love the image quality on the RII (and I really do love it), the camera's ergonomics (and battery life) aren't great. Specifically that control wheel. I've lost count of the number of times that I've accidentally spun the wheel instead of pressed it and ended up changing focus mode rather than the AF point position..... infuriating! It is very tempting and I do currently have some money burning a hole in my pocket. Options I am considering are:
    1. Changing my RII for an RIII
    2. Getting a Sony LA-EA3 adaptor and a Tamron 150-600 G2 in Sony A mount
    3. Getting a Sony 100-400 GM
    4. Getting a Nikon Z7 (currently around £2500 with FTZ adaptor from Panamoz)
    5. Using the money to fund some photography trips.

Decisions decisions.....

Lefty

2. canonman

canonman pfm Member

3. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

There is a GAS answer and a sensible one, given that choice now I'd go for 5 every time, but a few years ago I would have gone for one of the other four!!!

4. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Pete MB&D, John Barry, ff1d1l and 2 others like this.
  5. canonman

canonman pfm Member

@Lefty If you haven't used the Tamron G2, rent one first. I have used 2. The first, last year, was superb but I took a second one to South Africa last month and AF and contrast not so good (although little else better at the cost). Maybe batch variations. My Canon 100-400L II lens is in a different league but you need tele convertors for safari work. I would imagine the Sony GM to be similarly good, albeit expensive.
    Maybe option 5!

6. Lefty

@Mr Perceptive and @canonman - thanks for the feedback chaps. I'm in no rush so happy I'm happy to bide my time. On the subject of photography trips, it's looking like I'll be going to Snowdonia in a month. Excited is an understatement. Can't wait! :D

In the meantime, here's another from lat week's snow:

[​IMG]

Narnia by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Sony A7rII / Sony 70-200mm f4

Lefty

gavreid, John Barry and Gromit like this.
  7. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Naturally, my head would say option 5 but I've never really been any good at making sensible decisions. :)

That's a very good price for a Z7, especially as it includes the adapter. I did like the feel of the Z6 but whether I'd now choose the Nikon over the RIII, that would be a tough one.

As to the RIII itself, I've been playing with the eye-AF and it's incredible - it almost feels like the devil's work the way it locks-on and 'finds' a person's eye, even at distance. Shooting a friend's wedding this summer where this will be so useful.

I'm weighing up moving my E-M1 Mk2 on with the larger primes and keeping Pen F with the small ones (15/20/25) which makes the most of the M43's small form.

8. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

9. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Belton - away from the crowds:

[​IMG]Belton by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

OM-D E-M1 Mk2/Oly 12-40 2.8 Pro

gavreid and Lefty like this.
  10. Lefty

Agreed about the eye AF. It's pure sorcery! (And that's on the RII - can't imagine how good it must be on the RIII).

It's an interesting call between Sony and Nikon. I've briefly handled both the RIII and the Z6 (assuming it's similar in operation to the Z7). As much as the ergonomics of the RIII are improved (and they definitely are), I still preferred the feel of the Nikon. Having said that, the RIII was definitely good enough to the point where I'd have no reservations about its ergonomics.

Where the Nikon pulls away for me is the lenses. Despite still needing an adaptor, the brief play I had with the Z6 was enough to satisfy me that they have this aspect of it sorted. I tried my 24-70/2.8, 85/1.8 and their 200-500/5.6 and all worked flawlessly with the adaptor.

In the Sony's favour, I think they are the more innovative company and will take greater technical risks. Some will fall flat on their face but others will be revolutionary. (E.g. eye AF). For the moment I am happy to stay put on focus on the images, but I am constantly keeping an eye on things. What inwouod love is for Tamron / Sigma to start making zooms (16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 150-600) in native fe mount at reasonable prices. Then I'd be fully converted.

With regards to moving on the E-M1 mkII and large primes, that sounds like a good decision. From previous experience of running two systems, it never personally worked out for me and I always ended up gravitating towards one of them. The exception was when I had the X100T, as that was sufficiently different to my main camera to warrant a place in my camera bag. (Plus it's just such a lovely thing to own / use) :)

Lefty

11. John Barry

John Barry pfm Member

From the Vyne, a Tudor House, on a dark and dismal afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

13. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

At the Nitro Bug workshop yesterday

We’re gonna need a bigger Beetle...

[​IMG]

14. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Our eldest, now 14, where has the time gone?

[​IMG]Molly by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Sony A7RIII/Zeiss Sonnar T* 55-1.8

ff1d1l, martin clark, gavreid and 3 others like this.
  15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Here's my first in a long time, messing about in the garden today...

[​IMG]_DSF2684.jpg by Gavin Reid, on Flickr

Lefty likes this.
  16. eguth

eguth pfm Member

17. canonman

canonman pfm Member

18. Pete MB&D

19. Pete MB&D

Lefty likes this.
  20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Gromit and ff1d1l like this.