1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Discussion in 'photo' started by Gromit, Jan 1, 2019.

1. kcc123

kcc123 pfm Member

Northern Goshawk

[​IMG]

ian123running, Gromit, Milan and 9 others like this.
  2. plum

plum pfm Member

3. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Also my entry in the latest competition.

The North Sea is never warm, but that looks a little too dark and cold to me

[​IMG]

halvis, Robby, JemHayward and 8 others like this.
  4. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Had the privilege of photographing a friend's wedding this afternoon - a very small gathering of only 10 people or so, in a village pub close to our home:

[​IMG]Father of the bride by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Fuji X-H1/XF56-1.2

halvis, Robby, ian123running and 10 others like this.
  5. yurivv

yurivv pfm Member

6. yurivv

yurivv pfm Member

7. kcc123

kcc123 pfm Member

Sunset at English Bay Beach, Vancouver

[​IMG]

Robby likes this.
  8. eguth

eguth pfm Member

9. chartz

chartz pfm Member

A sad view. What will Brexit do for the poor lad?

10. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Lefty, kcc123, Robby and 2 others like this.
  11. Clay B

Clay B pfm Member

Gromit

Isn’t this just a different angle on your “dream house”. Nice walk!

martin clark and Gromit like this.
  12. plum

plum pfm Member

TimF, stevied, Robby and 4 others like this.
  13. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

It is indeed - just using different glass for the photo. I'm never happier than when spending time in such places, and somewhere like this would make a perfect home for me.

Lefty likes this.
  14. kcc123

kcc123 pfm Member

A-maze-ing Laughter - a 2009 bronze sculpture by Yue Minjun, located in Morton Park in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

[​IMG]

stevied, Gromit, eternumviti and 3 others like this.
  15. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

16. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

one I did earlier (been going through the neg files): Allison Anders, Film director

[​IMG]Allison Anders by Pete, on Flickr
    Edinburgh 1992

17. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Another old one

Clive Owen, Edinburgh 1991

[​IMG]Clive Owen by Pete, on Flickr

kcc123, stevied, eternumviti and 4 others like this.
  18. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

The last three images show the power of black and white. I just love them.

martin clark likes this.
  19. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Quite; after > decade of watching, and sometimes trying for myself, I find Pete's facility yet wholly-distinct way with the discipline of the square monochrome portraits mesmerising. They are all wonderful.

@mentalp - Thanks for contributing your portraits, all of them - for me it's always a 'sit up and watch' moment to see you post, to contemplate what and how it works as an image, especially the apparent insight into something about the subject (the bit that gets me everytime) - and always enjoyed.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  20. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Thank you guys - it's appreciated. Portraits have always been my thing since college days. I picked up a pile of old contact sheets last night and started looking at frames I'd not really done anything with before. Off sick today so started digging through the neg files and scanning some of them. The two above were both taken at Edinburgh Film Festival - I worked at the Filmhouse at the time so had a bit of access. Weren't commissioned, I just asked if I could do a portrait Not something I found easy ( I did chicken out of asking Tilda Swinson one year) I do remember after shooting Allison Anders she said I was the shyest photographer she had ever met.
    My usual practice used to be to shoot 3 rolls of film (36 frames) for a portrait but as film has become more expensive I'm being more frugal. The recent portraits I did in Hastings were all one roll per person and I still managed to have several options I could use.
    I'll stick one more up, from 1987 this time

martin clark and Tony Lockhart like this.