1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Discussion in 'photo' started by Gromit, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Sounds good

XF18-135 is not the sharpest lens that Fujifilm make, but it does have WR and superb OIS. Owned one in the past but sold it in one my regular lens culls (ie have too many!!)

ff1d1l likes this.
  2. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Lincoln Performing Arts Centre:

[​IMG]LPAC by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Ricoh GRIII

miktec, Robby, Mr Perceptive and 4 others like this.
  3. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

Love the colour rendition in that Richard. Natural yet bold / vibrant.

How are you getting on with the Ricoh GRIII? I've been a long time admirer of that series of cameras as a potential alternative to the Fuji X100 series. I actually prefer the 28mm focal length to 35mm as well....

Lefty

Gromit likes this.
  4. Mr Perceptive

Leica Q ..........

5. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

[​IMG]

Willow tangle, F3/FP4/DDX

miktec, Gromit, Lefty and 1 other person like this.
  6. John Barry

John Barry pfm Member

If you need more reach & use Fuji consider the 55-200mm. I've just started using one & am pretty impressed so far. A downside is no WR, but good image quality & OIS:

[​IMG]

miktec, Paulicus, kcc123 and 2 others like this.
  7. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Thanks Amar - this was from the raw file, with just a little bit of straightening.

Re the GR, so far so good. I'm slightly on the fence where f/l is concerned and can appreciate both sides when looking at 35 vs 28. I dare say 28 does allow for cropping - and with 24MP on hand there's still a reasonable number of pixels left if cropped to 35mm equivalent FoV.

The lens on the Ricoh is just incredible though - utterly tack-sharp and the macro function (down to 6cm distance) is a nice touch. Some great profiles too, including 'colour positive' which is a lovely filmic look - different to Fuji's Classic Chrome, but equally endearing. Took a wander down to our village church this afternoon where the GR"s IBIS came into play. No problem with 1/8sec exposures.

8. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

miktec, Lefty, Robby and 2 others like this.
  9. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Thanks...will check it out.

Edit...sounds the biz. I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  10. mad-moon

mad-moon pfm Member

an 18-135 lens is a good focal length range lens, However, lenses of this type will lose image quality at the near and far ends of the focal length range..personally, I opted for an even bigger, you might say, super zoom and opted for a Tamron 18-270mm, which again will lose image quality at the extreme and close end...but...If you are wanting 135mm, this lens gives excellent image quality in the middle sections of the zoom range..I use Canon Digital SLR's and find this inexpensive lens to be very good indeed, providing you don't use the extreme wide end...and the far end of the zoom range.imho..;)

ff1d1l likes this.
  11. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Thanks...but needs to be Fuji.

12. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Well, that was quick. On its way.

13. ian123running

ian123running pfm Member

miktec's defunct 'diptych' theme got me thinking... so this is a nice little technique to have learnt this morning.

This was in Kruger last week. I'd not seen a ground hornbill flying before. It did not appear to be a skilled aviator!

[​IMG]Hornbill triptych by Ian123_running, on Flickr

miktec, cctaylor, mentalp and 5 others like this.
  14. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Another from Thursday's trawl through the files
    Simone Lahbib, 1989

[​IMG]Simone by Pete, on Flickr

TimF, miktec, cctaylor and 6 others like this.
  15. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Beautifully graphic. Would look good on porcelain.

ian123running likes this.
  16. Mr Perceptive

17. Mr Perceptive

18. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

Not a fan of the Leica Q (or any other Leica) I'm afraid. They are good cameras, but way overpriced!

Thanks for the feedback Richard. Makes me wish I'd considered bagging a 'II' as I recently (as in yesterday) got myself a little Sony RX100 III for pocket duties. The Z7 is a beast, but I do miss having a pocketable camera on me all the time, as I did with the Fuji X100T. Time will tell if I can get used to the UI...

In terms of focal length, I just found 28mm more 'interesting' if that makes sense? JUdging from what I'm seeing in your images so far, there is definitely something special about that camera. The seed has been planted.... :D

Lefty

19. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Dev, miktec, cctaylor and 6 others like this.
  20. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

[​IMG]

Into the misty morning sunlight, F3/FP4/DDX, TTL spot metered onto the grass at the base of the tree.

Dev, miktec, Mr Perceptive and 2 others like this.