1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2020

Discussion in 'photo' started by Gromit, Jan 1, 2020.

1. claire.foxx

claire.foxx Trans lives matter

I was walking round Berkeley campus early in the morning at the weekend and this very large and friendly (and fat) squirrel came along to say hi.

IphoneXR. With no postprocessing shenanigans - hosted on twitter so it’s rez is messed up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    TimF, stevied, Gromit and 4 others like this.
  2. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Ace!

3. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

And underground...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

stevied, Gromit, eternumviti and 2 others like this.
  4. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Having recently acquired a Fuji XT-3 and 16-80 f4, I am a wee bit concerned about being able to get sharp on objects at infinity & beyond (so to speak)..... really had to do a lot of sharpening on this image which was focused to infinity. Happy-ish with the result...but thinking it should have been much sharper given it was a clear day. ISO 160, 1/1250th, f4, 80mm, still significantly cropped - the Bass Rock is about 5km from where I was standing.

I've also included a 1600x1600 crop on the island of the original unprocessed RAW image (apart from conversion to JPG)... am I expecting too much? Just think it should be sharper than that....

[​IMG]

Original RAW
    [​IMG]

TimF likes this.
  5. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

All zoom lenses are a compromise somewhere in the focal length range and reviews suggest that the 16-80 is a little soft at both ends of the zoom range, ie 16mm F4 and 80mm F4, but improves towards the middle of the focal range. Most crop sensor lenses are at their sharpest around F8, I would suggest perhaps repeating the exercise at F8.

Personally if you wanted to evaluate the lens, I would use a man made target like a building (Not so far away!) and repeat the exercise both on and off a sturdy tripod (not forgetting to switch off OIS when in a tripod), you might as well take a series of images at different apertures.

If you are ‘still’ concerned then return the lenses for a replacement as there may well be copy variation (typically, not something that Fujifilm are known for)

In addition RAW files usually need some form of sharpening, this is often applied as part of the RAW conversion process, you then have a option to increase/decrease this sharpening in post production, see https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2018/11/why-you-need-to-sharpen-raw-files

Another factor to consider is the pixel to real world distance calculation, at your focal length, if we assume the target is 350m across, at approx 1500 pixels, each pixel will be nearly 25cm across, with a CMOS sensor you will not get absolute hard edges (on something like a black/white edge), so your real world resolution may be around 50cm. When combined with lens performance, this may result in a softer than expected image.

Hope that helps

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Lefty, ff1d1l and alanbeeb like this.
  6. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

These underground photos are extraordinary, these seem to be open inclined stopes looking through from the worked out areas. One can only imagine the weight of rock above that overhanging wall, all bearing on those three timbers! Some of these spaces were apparently like great cathedrals, dug out by men with only candles for illumination.

The lower engine in my photo pumped water from the mine via a vertical shaft, now blocked off, whilst the upper structure housed the winding gear for the famous Boscawen diagonal shaft, which descends 2,500 feet to a depth of 250 fathoms. The shaft entrance was accessed by a sharply sloping timber tramway which crossed the chasm between the engine house and the shaft, and the whim hauled an iron man-gig on a chain, which infamously parted in 1863, causing the gig to plummet to the foot of the shaft, killing 8 miners and a boy. That didn't prevent the Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandria from visiting the mine 2 years later, descending on the same gig which had been hauled to the surface and sent to Camborne to be repaired!

Years ago I clambered down into the chasm and back up the other side, to peer down into the shaft. It is full of water to within a few feet of the entrance, but looking in there with the sea crashing away behind me made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

ff1d1l likes this.
  7. eternumviti

[​IMG]

In the contemporary photograph the inclined tramway serving the Boscawen shaft can just be glimpsed in front of the (lower) pumping house. The corner of the large boulder in my photo is also visible on the extreme left.

[​IMG]

TimF, Lefty, Gromit and 2 others like this.
  8. eternumviti

Thank you, incidentally, much appreciated.

I think the National Trust have blocked off the narrow, slippery pathway that leads to that vantage point, on a section of it the cliff plummets away on each side, a bit hair raising in high winds with photographic kit, particularly when, like me, you suffer from vertigo!

ff1d1l likes this.
  9. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

10. eternumviti

[​IMG]

Mullion Harbour.

miktec, Paulicus, mad-moon and 4 others like this.
  11. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

miktec, dan m, Paulicus and 9 others like this.
  12. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

miktec, Dev, Mr Perceptive and 2 others like this.
  13. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Thanks for that.... tried some test shots yesterday of the local church, and right enough when I apply some sharpening on the export (using Capture One for Fuji) I think its better...... weather tomorrow is due for an improvement so might get out to try some more.

Mr Perceptive likes this.
  14. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Was time to call in some old kit (which I'd lent out) so have been getting re-familiarised with my D700 aka 'The Old Clunker'. Jeez this thing's heavy :D

[​IMG]Keyboard by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Nikon D700/AI-Nikkor 50-1.8

Dev, John.P, Paulicus and 3 others like this.
  15. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

miktec, stevied, Dev and 5 others like this.
  16. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Dev and Pete MB&D like this.
  17. eternumviti

I love this, Pete, classic mono portrait. I did slightly wonder if she was vamping it up and wearing a syrup, and having now looked her up I see that she is actually blonde, assuming as I'm sure I do that I have the right Dot Allison.

18. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

@mentalp - Agreed with Toby, that portrait of Dot Allison is just wonderful!

19. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Thanks
    yup she's blonde. Last time I saw Dot was singing with One Dove in '93 or '94. She was 18 in the photo, one of those faces you knew from round town. The clothes were by Jackie Brown, an Edinburgh designer / maker - The the shot of Simone (post#374) was part of a shoot for Jackie.

20. Lefty

Lefty Trade: Amar Sood Photo

I've just returned from a fantastic trip to Snowdonia. Needless to say, there are more pictures to come, but I thought I'd start with a bit of a classic. Taken on my final morning.

Yes, it's a well photographed tree and no doubt others have done it in better conditions and better light. However that didn't dim my experience one bit. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The choice to visit the tree was really down to two factors. Firstly, it was the only day in which we didn't have gale force winds, meaning there was a slim chance the lake would be still enough for a reasonable reflection. Secondly, I awoke to find snow on the peaks, which made for a nice backdrop to the shot.

[​IMG]

The Lone Tree, Llyn Padarn, Snowdonia National Park by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 24-70mm f4 S

Lefty

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    miktec, TimF, cctaylor and 9 others like this.