1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm server migration/outage 20/02/20

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just a quick heads-up that pfm is moving home on Thursday. I haven’t got the precise timings nailed down yet, though it is likely the site will be offline for quite some time on that day/evening as stuff is moved across, DNS updated etc. I’ll attempt to keep everyone informed and update with any issues. Also don’t be overly concerned if the site has issues between now and then, e.g. we ended up crashing the existing server completely earlier this morning! Once done it should be invisible to the end user, i.e. this is purely a server & hosting company change, everything else remains as it is for the time being.

PS I will at a later stage be upgrading XenForo to version 2.x, which is a fair bit different in look and feel, but that will come a few weeks later.

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Please can you do this during the UK working day? I have a deadline on Thursday and can do without the distraction this place offers...

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Thanks for the notification, I will inform my client of the probable 20% improvement in my productivity that day.

4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Gah! During the school holidays when I have time to waste on here!!!

blossomchris likes this.
  5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

It’s an outage outrage!

FireMoon and Mike Reed like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Best thing is to go on an outing to avoid the outage and its outcome. The only changes I like nowadays are underwear and David Bowie (n.b. to self; haven't played this in a long time).

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I had some odd issues with "Database error" warnings coming up on screen about an hour ago here...

8. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

One gets distracted by the internet at work, the other waits until he isn’t. Sounds like a job-swap might be in order.

9. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

How convenient that I need to go come out of the closet and go shopping. An outage out outfit outing

Alex S likes this.
  10. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Just so fishies know what's going to happen ... the database that is pfm will be hosted on an M5 multitronic unit as of Thursday. Designed by the brilliant Dr. Richard Daystrom, the M-5 will handle all forum functions, including responding to simulated attacks from trolls.

We're not expecting any technical difficulties during this transition, but if something goes awry perhaps a fishie in a red shirt could pop down to engineering to pull the plug.

Joe

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

(Note to self: no red t-shirt on Thurs).

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

No danger of Tony ending up as Capt Dunsel?

Joe P likes this.
  13. Joe P

Boss,

'Tis a good day to wear blue or command gold.

Joe

14. Marchbanks

Looks useful. Could it deal with skateboard punks? Does it have a cane-shaking facility? What about glowering?

15. Joe P

Marchy,

The M5 is the most advanced computer on Earth. It can do all those things *and* play a fair game of Tic-Tac-Toe.

[​IMG]

Joe

16. Marchbanks

I like that robot a great deal. Swivelling its eyes in an attempt to distract the child's attention from its subterfuge is a something even our own glorious Prime Minister would be proud of.

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I'd be completely thrown if fish media changes colour; (apart from 'gold').

18. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I’m off work on Thursday. WTAF am I going to do now??

lordsummit likes this.
  19. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I'm finding the current server very slow at times. Hopefully, the new server and hosting company brings improvements.

20. Roger Adams

Roger Adams pfm Member

Mildly tempted to walk into Tescos with an iPad Pro strapped to my face.

Isobarik likes this.