1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

pfm server migration/outage 20/02/20

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Feb 18, 2020.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

yup, it's intermittent for me and has been going on for more than an hour, not just at the one moment i posted.

2. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i'd say it's probably to do with marketing reasons. one of the most conservative healthcare orgs that i work with has switched to let's encrypt -- you can validate here: https://www.lhsc.on.ca.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Maybe. I’m certainly not arguing there is anything wrong with Let’s Encrypt (other than a dreadful name). I don’t care really, my time is far more important to me than spending ages researching these things. It’s £42 a year FFS!

4. garyi

garyi leave blank

Its a bag of nails here, seems to take ages to initially get to the site but then its ok from there. DNS?

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

it's arguably the worst name of anything in the history of IT. as for cost, i need multiple certificates and then of the wildcard variety, which typically cost over $300. given what the companies actually do, it's a mob-level racket. $5 would be more than fair.

6. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Outage earlier?

7. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Was out here as well.

8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Yep, same here at 9am.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I wasn’t logged in so didn’t notice anything. With any hosting scenario there will be odd glitches now and again as the server is patched, runs maintenance scripts or whatever. They are just computers at the end of the day. I’ve seen multi-£bn sites like eBay and Amazon inaccessible for short periods before, so minimum wage stuff like pfm can be given some leeway, surely?!

Woodface likes this.
  10. garyi

garyi leave blank

So when you move to these new providers are they like dicks and give you all the beans for a few weeks then temper it back? It started out fantastic but it feels slower than the last server now.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Its felt a bit slow the past few days. Coronavirus has hit the server company too, they are working from home as much as possible, plus our traffic is well up on normal levels (though revenue is down). Like everything else this global situation is hitting pfm and to be honest I’m not really in the right mindset to chase things up. As long as its pretty much working I’ll likely leave it be, though there are a lot of things I need to do once this is all over.

12. garyi

garyi leave blank

Yeah fair enough I was not having a pop just seems like the way of things within any company related to the internet.

As the world continues to crumble, this place remains an island so a few quid coming your way!

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator