1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Phantom or Muso?

Discussion in 'audio' started by thedanfan, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:27 PM.

1. thedanfan

thedanfan pfm Member

I've just got a decent sized room back - daughter moved out - and I want a one-box, speakers built-in unit for Spotify and Radio Paradise listening.

Immediate thought is a muso or single phantom, perhaps the new Reactor 600 or a second hand white.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the relative merits of the two or alternative ideas I could check out.

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

A friend has a Muso & likes it but I feel Sonos is difficult to beat especially with new amp & its flexibility. Sonos is great for what it is

3. amazement

amazement pfm Member

I've heard both and Phantom beats the Naim box easily, no contest. Where the Naim wins out is it's probably serviceable if it fails. The Phantom not so, you have to bin it.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  4. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

I'd have a listen myself if I were you. I preferred the Muso, and IIRC It's a fair bit cheaper than a Phantom.

5. MJG

MJG Member

6. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

The Phantoms only really work in a stereo pair and the new reactor is not currently able to be paired up. Phantoms can sound wonderful if properly set up with the same level of care that you would apply to any mid range speaker but they are like marmite. Personally I wouldn’t buy one and would look to other single speaker options. I should add I own Phantom Silvers. Whilst mine have been stable for the best part of three years there are a lot of owners who have experienced problems especially with the Spark software which is pants. The other thing to consider is that they cannot be repaired which is fine when in warranty but not so good when out. They do give a massive bang but then you are paying a lot for it.

7. backtovinyl

backtovinyl pfm Member

I've had both - the first set of Phantoms packed up and were replaced under warranty - I lost faith in them at that point as I'd read others had suffered the same fate.
    They sound good as a stereo pair, but the Devialet software leaves a lot to be desired. On occasion, the Dialog would go into a coma and need a reboot (the Dialog runs hot, as do the Phantoms) and / or the setup would randomly decide it wanted to be reconfigured.
    There was no security on the Bluetooth, so random passers by or neighbours can connect and play tunes.
    Of course, some of the software issues might have been resolved in the 12 months or more since I sold them, but given Devialet's pedestrian software development I'd not hold my breath.
    Granted, Naim's software hasn't been without it's issues either, but the Muso has remained and is used daily. It just works - the Mrs can operate it without any headaches (or earache for me) and it sounds pretty good too.
    I originally bought the Muso from John Lewis knowing I could return it if it was rubbish, so that's something you might want to consider. I doubt you'd be disappointed with it.

8. sawman

sawman Member

phantom is definitely a heavier hitter than the muso.

as another option consider Teenage Engineering OD-11

jtrade and narabdela like this.
  9. Goldenmouse

Goldenmouse pfm Member

I was very disappointed by the Muso and despite the price difference preferred the Sonos Play 5 (gen2).

I now use a Dynaudio Music 7 which for sound is the best of the bunch, though the app is not as good as Sonos and I’m not sure about Spotify integration (I only use Tidal).

10. Robert M

Robert M pfm Member

It has to be the phantom, i found the muso to be boxy sounding, so either phantom or a step down to sonos play5 or musoqb

11. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

The phantom is boom and tizz hifi. The MuSo is far less impressive, but I think would be the more musical companion over the long term.

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  12. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Beosound 1 or 2 are nice. My avatar is a 2.

Very addictive with spotify.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have a Naim Muso which I much preferred to the alternatives when I bought it two years ago but they aren’t serviceable.

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Radio Paradise app on your Phone => Audioquest Dragonfly => Beolit 17. And portable too.

booja30 likes this.
  15. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I’m really surprised as I heard the Play 5 and the Muso wipes the floor with it. In fact my Denon Mini system was way better.

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  16. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Why isn't the Muso serviceable? Hopefully not hermetically sealed like the Devialet(?)

17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

booja30 likes this.
  18. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Wow, well I guess it's good they're upfront about it. That's pretty terrible!

I should create an account on the new Naim forum and complain about it. How long will my account last? ;)

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  19. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I had a Mu-so but if fell short of my expectations.
    A pair of Sonos One is much more musical... and cheaper too

20. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

I'd consider either a pair of the new OD-11 (I have vintage Sonabs in my main system) or a BeoPlay A9 (which I have not heard but love the design).