1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Phono stage recs - 800 GBP or less...Graham Slee?

Discussion in 'audio' started by cruster, Mar 14, 2019.

1. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

Manley also have the cheaper Chinook for those seeking some valve colouring.

I agree the Liberty looks interesting and measures very well as a bonus.

cruster likes this.
  2. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disrupticon

Likewise, I have a PAthos Inpol Remix2 Amplifier, best sound I've ever heard.

What I like about the Pathos Phono Stage is that Pathos only do 1 phono stage. So the best they can do is right there. Its not , like other manufacturers who reverse engineer their best ones to make budget ones and set people off on the 'upgrade' path.

I actually tried to audition a Tron unit at the same time as the Pathos (amongst another 3-4 units), the Tron guy had zero interest in offering a demo unit to try, Robbie at Audio Oasis sent the ITG out next day, so my money went there....that and it being exceptional at everything! (and it looks good unlike that 'Nighthawk - wth is that abomination of style and design)

[​IMG]

They also do a Black version.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  3. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

In an all Rega system surely a Rega would work well.

cruster likes this.
  4. rough edges

rough edges pfm Member

I've been using a GS Reflex M for about 3 months now, and I'm very happy with it. It plays the tune and gets your body moving. Prior to the Reflex M, I was using the Naim MM boards in my 52. The Reflex M made the Naim phono boards sound grey tonally, and pretty rough overall. To be fair, the Naim boards could probably benefit from a recap. Source is LP12/cirkus/Lingo2/Ittok/NagMP500/Archidee.

There are many good solutions, and Graham Slee is one of them...

Brian

lazycat and cruster like this.
  5. echann

echann pfm Member

I love the sound from my Trilogy 907. The much cheaper (at £1k) 906 is said to be close to the 907's (at £2,895) performance.

cruster likes this.
  6. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

High Water Sound in New York is the US distributor for TRON and they have a Convergence on demonstration. Best to contact Jeffery Catalano at HWS on 212 608 8841 and I am sure he would be able to help.

cruster likes this.
  7. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

If you are referring to me then this is not strictly true. I explained that from 2015 to 2017 we had a couple of demonstrator units which we send out so people could hear the Convergence in their own system, but some abused this service and the units were not looked after and got damaged, and we are not talking about shipping damage either. Also, the flight case we used got smashed which were well packed inside another triple layer box, so it was obvious the case and amplifier was thrown around outside of the packaging. If people abuse a service like this then they can't expect a manufacturer to continue to offer it. I do take this very personally as I make each phono stage by hand, plus it is basically a high quality bespoke audio product being sold at a very low price. We have a Convergence on permanent demonstration here in our demonstration studio so if anyone does what to hear it they are most welcome.

Here is one being used at the 2018 RMAF in Denver and check out the partnering equipment used.

[​IMG]

scotty38 and essgee like this.
  8. The Chronicals

I have no idea who you are, but what i wrote is completely true to fact.

If you cant send demo units out, you cant do it. Your choice entirely if you have a lack of insurance/handling of ample deposit to cover damages/courier choice etc , and yes is understandable to a point but that dosent remove the facts from my post. If you are in fact Tron, then you where the only company who wouldnt send a demo out of all five units i trialled and seemed disinterested, which is what i referenced in my post.

But based on your above post, i am more than thankful that my hard earned went elsewhere, and in a unit that was able to be trialed in my own system, my own environment over a period of weeks. Buying blind at this price level is a silly move in my opinion, and as I’ve found, something most manufacturers/resellers understand.

9. essgee

essgee Active Member

In this case then that is your loss not a manufacturer who wishes to preserve his equipment and good name. I am sure you feel you are correct and that is your right but do not go "slagging" off someone without having understanding of why something is not offered for demo/trial.

Tarzan and slawekt like this.
  10. The Chronicals

Dont tell me what i can and cant do lol. How pompous.

I didn’t slag off anyone i merely outlined my experience. I could have said ‘yeah that company guy was a tit and wouldnt let me try one out’, that would be unjust and classed as slagging someone off.

I wouldnt say what i outlined, my experience, was preserving a good name though, as effectively If it were, it would not have prompted a defence.

The risk of any demo units is the same
    For all retailers/manufacturers. Taking a full payment to be refundable on return of the item in as new condition is an easy way to combat poor customer handling and abuse.

Definitely not my loss at all. Im not selling anything, so I’ve lost nothing.

Salamander likes this.
  11. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

I wonder how many prospective purchasers would be prepared to pay the full purchase price as a refundable deposit for a home demo. That wasn't the expectation when I sold hi-fi many moons ago (over 450 moons) as a saturday job.

Having demo stock, which is damaged, might be amortisable for a large company with significant manufacturing output. But small boutique businesses, of which there are many in the UK, can't manage this rate of attrition, especially if their goods are bespoke and high value. £1000-1200 is entry level for a small one man company like TRON; imagine if a £15,000 demo TRON unit got trashed - would someone pay a £15k deposit for a demo? One can understand why a small operation might feel uneasy about carrying on sending out demo stock in such circumstances.

essgee likes this.
  12. The Chronicals

I think its mostly expected these days due to the level of chancers and scammers. I dont have any issue with it..although in saying that , ive only ever paid a deposit on one item i have trialled previously. I personally felt it was a prerequisite and i was actually surprised when not asked/required from some vendors.

I think if someone has 15k to spend on an appliance then there really wouldnt be too much if an issue offering that. Its merely how Consumer Contracts Regs work for internet purchaes you buy it and you have up to 14 days to trial it and decide whether or not to return it for a refund.

So essentially, anythinf bought ‘remotely’, i’e internet , the phone etc is able to be returned like this. So all companies actually offer free demo’s without then agreeing to it or not.

13. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

So you could have just bought one for your comparison then?

14. The Chronicals

I could have, but I like to chat first with the company and see if there are any demo units available rather than buying a brand new one and then returning it - much more respectful to small businesses, but due to the disinterested conversation, i was put off anyway.

15. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

That's fair, to be honest it's not the best way to get a "trial" I would have to agree...

The Chronicals likes this.
  16. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

Perhaps a discussion for another thread?

To the original poster: Just be careful of dismissing your current Slee because it might look small and simple compared to other more impressive well-built stages. There are many ways to skin a cat. Reading blogs/posts from the owner/maker at GSP forum it's clear he knows a thing or two about the pitfalls of RIAA equalization. He just happens to favour a design that requires little space and mass.

lazycat and cruster like this.
  17. cruster

cruster pfm Member

It’s funny how this becomes a factor, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit it did, a little. It’s not a particularly sexy little box, but that shouldn’t matter when it sounds as good as it does (and it really does in my system - I keep hearing things that make me grin like a dummy by myself in my listening room).

krenzler likes this.
  18. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

Close your eyes and just enjoy the music.

cruster likes this.