1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me to love my SBL's

Discussion in 'audio' started by happychappy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

There is a pair of these in the UK somewhere, which replaced a pair of SBLs; and another pair s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y getting built.

[​IMG]

2. James

Yeah, I know. But I narrowly prefer the compromise of ES22 ports than the tonal imbalance of SBLs.

3. nirvanah

nirvanah pfm Member

I predict this too. Different is not necessarily better, but a little more bass than sbl's should help.

4. nirvanah

nirvanah pfm Member

They look like they would fit the bill. Lovely work James, i would love to hear them.

5. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

So would I!

Wasn't there a build thread many moons ago?

6. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

SBLs and ES22s sound much better without the apostrophe.

7. Tony,
    That made me laugh.:D

8. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

get the mk.1 chipboared 14's

9. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

NS10 trick

10. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

Is that the Greek God of spellinz?

11. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

That's the exact opposite of my experience (with both).

12. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

All this talk of SBLs, ES22s and ES14s "blowing each other away" is a bit daft. They're all very good in their different ways and it's down to what you prefer, as always. My personal preference is for SBLs but I can fully understand folks liking the others, they're certainly less demanding to set up.

The OP's description of the sound his SBLs produce points to a significant problem with either his room of the SBLs themselves. If the decision is to sell them on it would be good to ensure there's nothing amiss with either the drivers or crossovers.

13. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

Well, initial impressions are positive.

Taken all afternoon to create some E connectors and finally give the woodwork a little spit and polish.

Bass is still a bit of a problem, I have placed a pair of wool walking socks (unused) into the bottom port at the moment. They are placed away from the rear wall (dry lined) by about 18" a 6ft gap inner edge to inner edge and a bit of toe in. Still plenty to play with, unsure about the Mana.

The upper midband lift is all but gone, so much smoother!

Bjork / Its Oh So Quiet - now playable
    Madonna / Like A Prayer - oops, just had a little upper midband moment at the start.
    James Brown / Funky Drummer - still a tiny bit shouty
    Mario Biondi / If - superb!
    Fleetwood Mac / Dreams - perfect
    Gregory Porter / Water Under Bridges - Hearing things I have missed before, still a itsy bit shrill.
    Grover Washington Jr / Let It Flow - Very smooth, sax is slightly further back in the stage but more detail.

One downside is that I am now sitting closer to the speakers but so far am enjoying what I hear.

So the bass seems as if perhaps its a room problem, I guess I will have to start looking into treatments, get rid of the SBLs and still the voodoo continues......

Quick question to those in the know, am I right in thinking that the ES22s are ES11s with a dedicated midband driver in a floor standing box?

Crikey, MFSB / Mysteries Of The World aint arf good!

14. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Bunging up the ports can minimise excessive low end bass but to me, it always also dries up some life & "air" from the recordings. For this reason I prefer to leave ports open & play with speaker positioning & room treatment. Some corner bass traps behind the speakers can work wonders even if they're hidden by curtains etc.
    Maybe I'm a bit slow, but settling on the best speaker position in a room can take a while, getting your ears used to what the new speakers are doing etc. I'm guessing the contrast between the SBL's & the 22's is fairly pronounced?
    Matt.

15. MFSB Used to sound great in my Mini CooperS at full volume in 1973:cool:

16. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

All experimental at the moment.

The ES22s seem more polite than the SBls, one thing I am missing at the moment is the snap of a snare drum and the ping of a guitar string it all seems a little more laid back, however the ability to actually listen to a track and the want to listen to a track has definitely increased, could it be that they are new to my ears?

Its early days yet, I am not sure if they are keepers yet, a long way to go.

I will have to look into some bass traps, I had a borrow of some for my last room and they certainly worked, moved shortly after so never got around to purchasing any.

17. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

You silly old funkster! :)

18. happychappy

happychappy Happy Member

I am finding that difficult/bad recordings are listenable on the ES22s, the SBLs just rip them apart and make for a difficult few minutes.

Hill St Soul / For The Love Of You (old Isley Brothers track) one word - phantasmagorical

19. James

A decade or so ago, yes. AshleyD was the OP in the DIY room.

20. MVV

MVV pfm Member

That room does seem difficult. I'd see if I could borrow some Neat Elites which might just be the compromise you are looking for.