1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Plumber Question: New Hot Water Cylinder

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Fox, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Any recommended Horizontal Indirect Cylinder? Approx 250-300 lit 1800 x 450 looks good (smallest doorway access is 650mm).

No cannot go upright due to shallow roof (current is a 1960s approx 100Lit comparatively poorly insulated and not enough). Yes know the problems of horizontals. No, not on mains water. Yes assume I've confirmed ceiling can take the weight. 250lit ideal. 300lit tops

Telford (1800 x 450) are around 650 quid. Can I do any better elsewhere?
    Newark's Biggest (1800 x 450) seems to be £584
    Compass do a 1200 x 600 for £480 plus a 1500 x 500 about £392.00 ex.

Can't seem to find a price on RM... a bit cagey these days.

all ship ex

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/...direct_Vented_Cylinder_G3_-_1800_x_500mm.html

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Newark_Standard_Horizontal_Cylinders.html

http://www.compass-plumbing.co.uk/cylinders-copper.html

Ta

2. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

The loading distribution alone is often good reason to go horizontal, snigger.

All new cylinders will be expensive due to the price of copper, recently past $9K/tonne. Call it £6/kg this also makes almost any scrap DHW cylinder worth £100+ depending on mass just for the copper. Do not give them away.

3. Fox

Assume I will be turning my old cylinder into a still.
    Prices all seem OK to me but obviously wanting to get a good price.

4. Wilky

Wilky pfm Member

Hi Fox.

Go for a Gledhill custom built horizontal copper cylinder with a high recovery coil and a maximum insulation thickness
    (that a combination of desired diameter/length, available space and installation access will allow).

I'm sure you know, but the all up weight will be the combined dry weight (Kg) + total capacity (Lt). So a 250 Lt cylinder will be around 280Kg as well as your cold water cistern dry weight and water capacity. Probably best part of >0.5 tonne of water and equipment.

They can build to your spec (length/length/coil output/insulation/tapping positions and sizes) and deliver within 72 hours.
    Nearest depot to you is in Inverkeithing.

You normally have to order via a merchant, but I could contact Paul Gledhill (personal friend) and see what can be arranged if you are interested (send a PM).

Here's their website - http://www.gledhill.net/page/111/Copper-Cylinder-Specials.htm

It'll still come in less than those others with higher performance and life expectancy.

Regards
    Dave.

5. Fox

Wilky - YHM!

6. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

result!

7. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Wilky is solid gold

8. Wilky

Wilky pfm Member

Running a new 2" gas supply for an oven tomorrow, but will get on it Monday and let you know all the details and necessary contacts a soon as...

Dave.

9. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

2" - bloody hell - THAT'S an oven!

10. oldie

oldie pfm Member

Hi Fox,
    Before you do anything contact this forum
    http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/
    and ask the question there, you will find that they are the most helpful , friendly and knowledgeable group of people around. The forum is like PFM but for every thing to do with plumbing there is also a sister forum for electrics, all of their advice is given freely to us lesser mortals and nobody on there treats less knowledgeable people with contempt, as some times unfortunately happens here. The other brilliant thing about it is, that Mr Parry doesn't post on it as it's below his strata, so no artificially induced aggregation :D

oldie

11. Fox

Check. On it. Wilky knows his onions and Elliot my plumber's been in the biz for 30 years so will keep in mind and see what transpires. Cheers for all the help. A new cylinder is a stressful thing.

i remember when we arrived and changed the old lidless tank for a much much larger sealed coffin tank... ahh those were the days

[​IMG]
    Upgrade of the water Supply: mouse soup by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

We need to store quite a lot of water as we have a spring that can sometimes run dry in high summer.

12. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Man, that soup is bleak.

13. Fox

...and the previous hippy occupants had a history of stomach upsets and they wondered why... That's how some folk live.

14. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

i bought a custom hot water tank with two coils for the heating and my aga and I occasionally open the cupboard and give it a cuddle. I have an illness......helpppp

15. Wilky

Wilky pfm Member

146KW to cook cars. ;)

16. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Dave, would you recommend their unvented stainless steel cylinders over the usual suspects (Megaflo, etc.)?

17. Wilky

Wilky pfm Member

Hi Greg.

They are definitely high quality cylinders and come with a standard 25 year warranty.
    Gledhill have always traditionally made copper cylinders, but copper prices have hit the roof so they have now moved over into stainless as well.

They certainly have plenty of expertise in the design and manufacture of hot water units (family business for 65 years AFAIK).

Dave.