1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] Music: Rent or Buy? (2018)

Discussion in 'audio' started by Whaleblue, Jan 13, 2018.

?

As a basic approach - Rent or Buy your music?

Poll closed Jan 27, 2018.
  1. I primarily use subscription services - Rent

27.4%
  2. I still mostly purchase CDs, LPs etc. - Buy

72.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

2. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

I hardly stream anything. There's a ridiculous amount of physical music available and I have no problem finding things I haven't heard before. I have a Squeezebox setup of ripped stuff which is good for background listening and random shuffled playlists, but otherwise it's physical media for me.

hairyderriere likes this.
  3. MVJ

MVJ madvinyljunkie,Professional Plonker & PFM Member

Tried the Spotify thing & got bored....

I find listening to some music that I have handled and own far more satisfying and pleasurable.

hairyderriere likes this.
  4. billzab

billzab The man with no Naim

I am a newbie to this forum, but an old hi-fi buff. Like others I use Tidal to audition new music and buy if I like it a lot. I have to say, that I don’t find many new releases that I really like and there’s not a lot of new artists that take my fancy.

When I got my NAS about 8 years ago, I purchased a lot of second hand albums, ripped them to the NAS, then handed them back to the charity shop. I was recently considering an upgrade of my drives from 4gb to 6gb but decided to clear out a lot of albums that I don’t listen to and unlikely to do so in the future. I have put them on a couple of old drives and stored them away in case I changed my mind in the future.

Bill.

5. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

I doubt any of the cds I want to listen to are any where to be streamed as I am not a pop-head

6. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

You’d have to be very off-piste for one or more of Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz not to hold a large proportion of what you may want.

‘Pop’ is a fairly meaningless genre term, though chart toppers doubtless form the lion’s share of streaming traffic.

7. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

If you like classical music or jazz, Qobuz is about as close to heaven as you get.

8. deserter

deserter pfm Member

Qobuz has just about everything by Captain Beefheart. That will do . But I’d still rather listen to the vinyl, or at a pinch the CD

9. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I like to own it, or steal it.

melody50 likes this.
  10. mjw

mjw pfm Member

You can take the boy out of Sheffield,.............

11. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Nah..... 'ees a Geordie.... can't take them anywhere !

12. suzywong

suzywong pfm Member

My position is still that I have no issue with streaming or "rent to play", but I'm still buying CDs and increasingly, more LPs (that "vinyls" for the yoof!)

13. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I only buy, and I only buy records.

14. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

No vinyls then :rolleyes:

15. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

No vinyls no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.