1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll : Next Labour Leader.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Weekender, Dec 15, 2019.

?

Who would you like as next leader of the L.P.

1. Lisa Nandy

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Keir Starmer

88 vote(s)
    50.3%
  3. Jess Phillips

25 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Angela Rayner

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Rebecca Long-Bailey

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Emily Thornberry

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Other

35 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Have any of Starmer’s fans heard him speak for more than a minute or two?

2. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Only if they have changed the definition of 'fear' to mean 'pissing himself with laughter'

Let's not forget it was Labour who helped Johnson get a very substantial majority in the election, he probably views them as an ally rather than enemy.

stephen bennett likes this.
  3. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I mean I’m guessing what most people here mean by “effective leader” is excellent communicator, clear vision, statesmanlike, commanding and quick witted at PMQs, and they’ve seen him look good in a suit, and know that he’s had a successful legal career, and so it’s obvious isn’t it.

But seriously, have a look. He’s like a piece of wood that’s about to start crying.

4. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ I much prefer a 'wooden' politician to a lying, arrogant, selfish buffoon.
    Brexit is serious, the NHS is serious, policies are serious: give me a serious leader any time.

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Right up there with Norman Willis ;)

6. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

What Labour have always failed to grasp is that the only way you can make changes and fix things is by winning elections. It doesn't matter what you think it is only when Labour understand election tactics and get the majority of the public on side can the issues be fixed.

As it stands I can't see Labour being an effective challenge within the next 7 years.

doctorf likes this.
  7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Boris won't 'fear' anyone. He's got a large majority and a complacent/compliant party behind him. But certainly Labour needs a leader who can focus attention on the key issues, and not wander all over the place at PMQs reading out complaints from Mrs Goggins in Batley who's concerned about buses not turning up on time. Whoever is elected as leader, his/her priority should be to hoof out Seamus Milne and get someone in as Head of Communications who's got at least half a clue.

Woodface and SteveS1 like this.
  8. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Yes, detailed, eloquent and factual. On top of his brief and forensic when facing b/s. Can't think where that might come in handy. I'm sure any number of tub thumpers can be found to please those who like that kind of thing at Conference.

9. SteveS1

Boris will not enjoy detailed cross examination. Yes he has a majority but his bluster and b/s will not get the ride it has had so far and he knows that.

10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Why wouldn’t it? Because the leader of the opposition is whip-smart? Couple of things about how this all works that you might have missed.

11. SteveS1

Patronise all you like, the wider electorate have so far only seen Johnson in campaign mode. I haven't missed many of the electoral defeats and this one hurt more than most.

Meanwhile, the party is currently going through one of its more absurd searches for a candidate with the most "authentic working-class" background and I include all of them in that. A Pythonesque search for the most "working class" candidate invites ridicule. An effective leader to bring about the economic and social changes needed is what this should be about. Not who had the hardest unpbringing or stood on the most picket lines.

12. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

RLB keeping her powder dry, or has her candidacy not been approved yet?

13. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

That whole routine is basically centrist journalists talking to each other and Jess Phillips dancing for them - it has nothing whatsoever to do with internal deliberation. But there you have it, and sorry if this is patronising: you think the right leader can simply punch through media framing, while buying wholesale the media framing of the contest itself.

14. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

One of two things IMHO: either she's being groomed by the Corbynistas to be pitch perfect and on message when she does announce her bid for leader or she knows that the next leader has a lot to do in 5 years and will lose the next GE so she can step in after and win GE 2029.

ciderglider likes this.
  15. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Jess Phillips is smart enough to keep Marr in place. This was clear when he tried to get her tangled up about Brexit.

She is a Remainer and hasn't changed her mind, yet. The tack that Labour should take, she argued, should be determined by what happens to the British economy and trade negotiations in the next few years. What Johnson has promised might come true, but she doubts it. The main lesson is to regain people's trust.

Starmer came over as more statesmanlike. He damned Raab and the government's slapdash and unfocused reaction to Trump's assassination of the Iranian General. He said the UK made a mistake in 2003 i.e. when Labour went along with Bush and the WMD hallucination. He also said that the Party should hold onto its left-wing stance, which the country still desperately needs.

The blokeish bonhomie of Phillips is attractive and Starmer cames over as the leader Labour should have had instead of Corbyn. They are both okay as candidates.

The Mail online is already distorting what both of them said to Marr an hour or two ago. No change there then. The journalists who work for that shitrag should be ashamed of themselves.

Jack

Weekender, roman and ks.234 like this.
  16. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

No to both questions. The Sun in Scotland has been edited differently to down south. The press here isn't a total clone of down south.

And this time around the Tories specifically focussed on the 'red wall' and some other key seats with an agenda that won't fly in Scotland. Their Tory MPs got sacrificed for BloJo just as the DUPEs did.

17. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

What are the values for the average number of electors across the UK, and specifically in Scotland? You'd need to factor that in before drawing such a conclusion.

You'd perhaps also need to consider the average number of candidates per seat as a factor.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I think it's undecided. People think RLB is untested (but that goes for the whole bunch). I wouldn't be surprised if the Unions prefer Lavery, but I think we'll know more after the NEC meets tomorrow(?)...

19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Who do you want as leader?

The right leader would be a start, not overly enthused with any of them but Starmer is probably best of the bunch.

20. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

The snag is that the likelyhood of your initial comment returning TRUE doesn't ensure your second. He will simply pass the buck, and the Tories will spend money to propagadise blame onto someone else. Probably 'Johnny Forigner'. This will chime nicely with the people who voted him in because they blame.. Johnny Forigner' for the state they are in now. Convenient scapegoats are easy to find if you have no interest in truth. And easy to 'sell' if you use the right emotional 'push buttons' to base them on what people already believe.

Hence, for example, the routine meme about any change being awful because "it takes us back to the 1970s" - which overlooks the reality that many of the people saying this would have been better off then than they have been since in relative terms! But they have for decades been conditioned to 'know' otherwise just as they 'know' Gordon Brown was to blame for the last crash. Things come to be "everybody knows" even when twaddle. Having the LP and LDP tacitly accept these things simply entrenches the problem. Hence the problem of going into 'triangulation' again.

Nigel, Sue Pertwee-Tyr and kendo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.