1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor broadband areas

Discussion in 'off topic' started by thebiglebowski, Oct 3, 2019.

1. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

If only a political party would offer to provide it free for everyone.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  2. BilliumB

BilliumB pfm Member

Hi, how are you finding the EE solution some months on?

I've read a number of reports (on the EE site) that EE Unlimited SIMs start out giving very high data rates, but then mysteriously seem to 'throttle back' very significantly after a few weeks.

I’m really interested as our landline speed is poor and the only network with reasonable coverage is EE.

Many thanks. Cheers. Bill

3. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Did this speedtest about 2 mins ago. It's been rock solid for months and the bandwidth doesn't generally drop below 25 Mbps

[​IMG]

4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

We got Smarty from 3 - £18.75 for unlimited data, recurring.
    It isn't as fast as when we first got it, but it is streets ahead of the copper landline we had before.

5. BilliumB

BilliumB pfm Member

That looks very worthwhile! Does is generally drop in speed at specific times of the day?

6. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

I have been experimenting with 4G as an alternative where I live in Ireland. I bought one of those Poynting external aerials and attached it to my Huawei B525. I'm actually getting worse (longer pings in particular) results than I did with the "rabbits ears" antennas I already had.

The performance isn't bad; I get 35-40MB down/15-18MB up/Ping 25 ms or so (Ping is 40ms with the Poynting)

Have others had better experiences?

7. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Same here in France. I have the Huawei but I use the internal antenna, because the signal is poorer with the rabbit ears.
    They promised fiber optics in 2025. Ha ha, might as well say never!
    Here we pay the same fee whether we have 2 megs or 50 megs.
    I live 6500 metres away from the nearest switch box, so no TV of course and lengthy download times. :( But € 30 it is.
    Is it the same in UK and Ireland?

8. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Ireland (like most places) depends massively on where you are: some Urban centres are getting 500MB+ on fibre. Others - like me - who live 12km from the centre of Dublin get only 15MB on DSL and have to look to others like 4G for better alternatives.

We have a national broadband plan which is meant to get 30MB min to everyone no matter where they are, with a commitment to spend €3bn of public money to make it happen.

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

You're a star! Cheers!

10. chartz

chartz pfm Member

15 megs? But that is tremendous! I'd like to have that. Just that.

11. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

Fair enough - and I realise better than some. But I live 12km from the centre of a European Capital city. And literally at the end of my road (45 metres away, I have measured it!) they have 200MB service.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  12. chartz

chartz pfm Member

And of course you pay for what the others get.

Same situation here. I know people in next village, just 2 miles away, who pay the same € 30 but have broadband TV, fast download times. It just works.
    I have always thought that subscription rates should diminish substantially when the quality of service diminishes.
    That said, I'd be more than happy with 15 MB. We even don't get that with 4G sometimes - with a probably saturated tower just 1 mile away I can see from my window.

13. eisenach

eisenach European

No mobile phone signal here, so broadband via the wires it has to be. I get around 4mb off the copper wires which does for most things. It's been noticeably slow of late, though.
    Fibre is now available, but only, so far, from gigaclear, which is prohibitively expensive. Given I'd need to keep the landline for calls or pay for a VoIP service, even the slowest package works out more than twice what I pay now, which includes unlimited calls, mobiles and foreign, all necessary given the lack of mobile.
    It'll have to wait.

14. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

That's more than my (supposed) 200mbps virgin fibre. I got 79 mbps and 20 mbps today