1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Power amplifier suggestions . . .

Discussion in 'audio' started by Bob Edwards, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

All -

It appears that my Exposure 28 has developed a fault - it creates a crackling sound above about 75-80 dB (measured with the DecibelX app). Not the speakers - I have a Linn Klout that does not do it. I've emailed Tony at Exposure and am waiting to hear back, but I'm a bit worried it won't be cost-effective to repair.

Hence: what would people suggest for a power amplifier? The system is an Exposure 3010S2 CD - Naim nDAC - Exposure 3010S2 preamp - [power amp] - Monitor Audio Gold GX300 speakers.

The Klout is . . . OK. The 28 sounds more energetic, livelier, and clearer - the Klout sounds like it extends deeper into the bass. The obvious step is a pair of Exposure 3010S2 monos, but they are unusual on the secondary market.

Considerations - it should be powerful enough to drive the MAs, it should be from a real company that has been around a while and seems likely to be around for a while in the future, reliable, and ideally an advance music-wise on the 28. I'd like to stay at $2k USD or under.

Thanks all in advance - I appreciate your thoughts!

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Should be repairable cheaply enough. I'd offer but I see you're in the colonies....

Bob Edwards and Wilson like this.
  3. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

Most kind! I hope so re repair - it's a good sounding amp that works well in what I have.

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Hopefully repair works out.

Otherwise, Avondale, assuming that can work out cost-wise for you.

5. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

If this amplifier is a real double mono with 2 transformers, I would definitely try to repair it at first.
    That kind of serious manufacturer deserve our respect as only a few people make good stuff like this.
    If it normally sound good enough for you, you may have a hard time finding something equivalent at a decent price.
    I’m just about to build an amplifier myself and it will be very similar to this construction.........

Mr Pig and Wilson like this.
  6. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

Yep, it's mostly dual mono - two transformers, boards, etc. Only a single power cable, though. One pair of transistors per channel. It looks very well put together.

7. realysm42

realysm42 reMember

If the repair is economical, you could always investigate upgrading a few significant components as well for a nice uptick in sound?

I doubt the repair will cost so much you’ll find something that economically betters what you have.

8. Bairnstorm

Bairnstorm pfm Member

The MA's don't require large amounts of power but thrive on quality. A 40 watt valve amp would drive them.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Any competent audio repairer will be able to sort it out. Finding one in Colorado may be hard, but when all this nonsense is over I'm sure you can post it to someone in the USA who can fix it.

10. Wilson

Wilson SCTV half wit

11. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

Quite an adventure!

Connecting with George Martin in Seattle per a wonderful member here.

I've also taken out some of my COVID-19 stir-craziness with retail therapy, and have ordered a pair of PS Audio M700 monoblocks. And may yet try a Parasound A21+ just for grins . . .

Will update if anyone's interested.

Torris12, realysm42 and Wilson like this.
  12. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Please. I'd take the parasound over the ps audio.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  13. chainrule

chainrule gordon

George Martin did an excellent job refurbishing my Expo gear about 5 years ago, and at a reasonable price. Glad to hear he's still at it.

Bob Edwards likes this.
  14. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

Interesting - why so?

15. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i am interested in the ps audio m700 too , got 2 lots of icepower amps here at the moment , both very enjoyable . although not perfect , one is extremely revealing of old recordings but lovely `live ` sound and pretty compelling . the ps audio seem to have an awful lot of exposure on the internet and fans . look forward to your thoughts bob ,

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Please do. While we are sitting about anything of inyterest is worth having.

17. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  18. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Bob, because one is designed by john curl and the other assembled from third party boards by someone I don't hold in high regard.

19. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

@Cereal Killer and @sq225917 -

Eminently reasonable. Waiting to hear on a A21+; the M700s are ordered and presumably in production.

Will update once here. May also try a Belles 150A just for grins.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  20. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

Will be interesting to know how you get in with them all and which will stay!!