1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

PPI claim company

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Feb 12, 2019 at 6:41 AM.

1. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Has anyone successfully used a ppi claim company with good result and fair fees? Never got round to this and deadline is this year. I don"t have time to do myself.

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I got a free trial of Which magazine.
    They have a proforma that took seconds to fill in and send off.
    Sadly I didn’t have any PPI to claim back they found out.

3. Mongeddavid

Mongeddavid pfm Member

I used moneyback ppi Still a air few forms to fill in but well worth it if you dont have the time or skill to do it yourself . I paid 10 percent of the full claim back amount to them.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I know I've never had p.p.i., but a decade ago I was 'sold' a Barclays Bank package current account with holiday insurance and one or two perks for a (£10?) monthly fee. However, when I cancelled this after a year or so, I found that my very worthwhile prviledge of being a 'platinum' customer had ceased when I took out the package, unbeknown to me. I only found out when sending a CHAPS payment (previously free) and they tried to charge me.

I've long felt annoyed by that, losing a free but valuable resource for a paid account of (to me as it turned out) limited value. Obviously, Barclays refused/weren't able to do anything at the time . Wonder if this kind of situation comes within the umbrella of p.p.i. or similar.

5. billo

billo pfm Member

Don't you have to submit the same info to the P.P.I. company as you would have to to the bank/ finance institute? So it's the same amount of work but you end up with 10% or so less in your pocket?

ToTo Man likes this.
  6. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

lazycat likes this.
  7. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

Might be worth reading this Which? article. https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...f-youve-been-mis-sold-a-packaged-bank-account

Mike Reed likes this.
  8. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

My wife and I went through a PPI claims company because we couldn’t be arsed to do it ourselves. TBH we didn’t think we had any and that turned out to be true. They were quite efficient though.

9. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

But have you considered the possibility that you might have had it without realising, and that the claims company was inefficient and couldn't find it? :)

10. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

PPI claim companies ask you for details of the banks you've dealt with, and loans you've had, and they write to those banks asking for details of the accounts you held and if any PPI was taken out. They are using your rights under data protection legislation to get the information. You can quite easily do it yourself, so you have to ask if the fee they extract from any compensation is worth the hassle they spare you.

11. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

I did it thru my bank - Lloyds. Didn't use a company. 8 weeks later got a tidy sum from loans I had 25-30 yrs ago.

Thanks Lloyds, for upgrading my system and buying me lots of music.

12. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

No it was one thing we avoided as the cover was a bit dubious for anyone self employed.

13. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

I did this myself. I gathered SOME of my credit card statements (all that I had left, covering maybe 4 or 5 mths where the PPI was shown on the statement), and drafted a letter to my bank, posting copy statements with it.

They sent me a form. I answered the questions on the form truthfully.

A few weeks later, a cheque arrived in the post. A few months after that, unprompted by an further action from me, the bank wrote to inform me they'd changed their method of assessment, decided I was due more money, and enclosed another cheque. Both cheque amounts exceeded my expectations

Is your day REALLY too busy for one letter and one form, if you have something to show you actually paid for the PPI?

14. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

I had a mortgage in the 1980's with my girlfriend at the time,now wife, and we had to have some cover but not sure if it was called ppi then. Does anyone know if this is the same thing.

15. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

It was difficult to avoid in the 80s. The Halifax asked me to pay it when I took out a mortgage with them and I refused when I worked out what it was. After some consultation with head office they came back and said everyone had to pay it and so I took out my mortgage with RBS (or was it the other one?) where it was optional.

16. Cav

Cav pfm Member

More like 30%...

17. docstocker

docstocker pfm Member

Yes. We have used one. Recommended by a friend. I have never willingly accepted PPI as have been self employed early all my working life and always had income protection and ill health insurance.
    Did not see the point of spending time on it. Racked our brains to think where we might have borrowed money or services in our married life. Didn't give them much except names and approximate times.
    To our/my surprise, we had been sold PPI on several occasions. We received about £15,000 back in all. We did not gripe about the 30% we didn't get back because we were convinced we had never had PPI and would never have gone through the writing of letters to institutions many of which had amalgamated etc. I feel that this would actually have been a significant amount of work which I don't believe we would have pursued to conclusion.
    Was worth it to us, perhaps not to others.