1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Diabetes ~ Borderline Diabetes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

On top of some long standing health issues I have now been informed I am prediabetic.

This has been confirmed with fasting blood sugars taken over a couple of months (only because I forgot I had to have a blood test, that is another story)

I am not particularly overweight, I eat a relatively healthy diet. I take exercise, but that is limited by disability.

I have read the old threads relating to diabetes, which are a few years old now.

A low carbohydrate diet looks like it is the way to go.

The advice I have researched that I am going to try and follow:

- 3 good meals a day, no snacking.

- protein every meal

- cut right down on carbs, ? 100g. ? a day ( this seems hard, 100g. = approx. 2 slices of wholemeal bread)

- Lots of Non-Starchy vegetables (I have written out a long list, luckily I love cabbage)

- 2 to 3 pints of water a day, easy to do as I already do this.

- I don't really eat cake, biscuits or sweets. Never been one for pudding.

Anyone else in this situation?

Dietary advice?

(We make most meals from scratch.)

2. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Far for me to say, fear of a put down, this should be in the PFM health club thread many on there are very helpful

Bloss

3. venton

venton pfm Member

35 carbs a day and you'll go into remission.
    Liv life bread = 3.9 carbs a slice.
    See poundforpounddiet.co.uk, it has a good carb counter.
    Meat=0 carbs. Enjoy cream and butter.
    Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries in reasonable portions.
    Potato is big no no, so is pasta.
    Cauliflower rice is excellent.
    Eggs are great. 3 egg omelette with cheese and mushrooms, practically no carbs.
    I've been living this way for 5 years and blood lipids are excellent.
    Occasion cheat day, no worries.

4. Cav

Cav pfm Member

What does your Doctor suggest?

crimsondonkey likes this.
  5. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Dietary knowledge of GPs is woeful on the whole.

Big Tabs, hifilover1979 and narabdela like this.
  6. flapland

flapland pfm Member

I have just joined the same boat but early days as Dr is wanting me to make a small number of changes at a time. However he does feel a regular full nights sleep is helpful as is not eating your first and last food of the day more than 12 hours apart. We tend to have a late supper due to work commitments so now eating breakfast a bit later. I have also doubled up on my strenuous walking and brought weekends into play for that. Still only week one so going to be some time before I see if my blood sugar and blood pressure figures improve.

Big Tabs likes this.
  7. Big Tabs

?

8. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Only saying, have a butchers at the thread, no malice intended, night, night

Bloss

9. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Labour MP Tom Watson has famously reversed his diabetes situation from a far 'worse' position than you appear to be in. Weight work and diet seems to be the key.

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. Big Tabs

ar, great. I had already spoke to the missus about omelettes (2 egg though as 3 eggs is a big omelette)

occasional cheat day if a deffo. don't know what liv life bread is, so will look it up.

How long did it take before it had an effect?

11. Big Tabs

The locum G.P. gave minimal advice, I had to check with my wife as she attends appointments with me and writes stuff down as I forget everything he said almost as he was saying it.
    So the doc suggested nothing of note.

12. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I suggest you ask a medical professional, rather than random men on pfm or Google, for advice that could effect your continued wellbeing.

13. Big Tabs

Thank you. Unfortunately because I had months in a coma laid flat and intubated with an tube in a hole in my throat, and fed with a tube up my nose I get extreme acid reflux, or used to. medication and having my bed tilted help, but late- night eating is a no-no.
    Good luck with it, you sound very pro- active.
    Small changes sounds sensible.

14. Big Tabs

I find that information from people who are in a similar situation can be useful.

Having been a health care professional for many years, one has to keep an open mind.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  15. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Big Tabs likes this.
  16. poppop

poppop pfm Member

Big Tabs

Think I'm with Cav - as he says maybe worth a visit to a professional (Dietitian) just to get you on the right track. Not sure demonising carbs is absolutely correct, particularly with a move to more fatty food, and the additional health risks that could bring? A number of GP surgeries will have a visiting community Dietitian, and hospitals used to run clinics for outpatients. Take the misses along, it could be the best way to get you on track. Good luck with it.

Steve

Big Tabs likes this.
  17. venton

venton pfm Member

Personally I would miss toast, so two makes of bread, Livlife or Hilo are available in supermarkets. It's not essential obviously. In a month you will notice a difference. When you cut down carbs, there is less blood sugar to deal with. Blood sugar is dealt with by body producing insulin. After years your body becomes insuliin resistant. Ease off the carbs and a) there's less blood sugar to deal with and b) your insulin resistance reduces and your pancreas gets a break from pumping out insulin non stop.
    A simple rule is the more refined the carbs, the worse they are. Sugar is the worst, but those pappy white rolls and such like are not far behind. The more unrefined the carbs the longer they take to break down so less risk.

Big Tabs likes this.
  18. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

And don't be frightened of fat. This is what stops your hunger. Proper animal fat. The stuff we are designed to eat. Eat fat and you won't miss the lethal carbs.

Big Tabs and venton like this.
  19. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Big Tabs likes this.
  20. brian2957

brian2957 pfm Member

+1 Lots of good information on the Diabetes UK website .

Definitely drastically reduce your carb intake and increase your intake of good fats like butter and full fat milk . Also stay away from processed food .

Lots of good advice on this and other threads .

Big Tabs likes this.