1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Diabetes ~ Borderline Diabetes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

I was in a similar situation but needed to lose weight and I have successfully lost just under a third of my body weight. It was the Michael Mosley low carb diet I used (800 cal/day) and now use the recipes to maintain weight with standard calorific intake.

I strongly recommend this book, (Amazon link) the recipe book that goes with the diet but has lots of general low carb tips.

The key for me was the recipes within really taste great. The whole family is eating nicer healthier food.

.sjb

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Big Tabs like this.
  2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I am not ruling it out, but I want to see how small measures go.
    I am not intending to move towards fatty foods diet, more protein though. Certainly, I am quite happy with a whole trout with a bit of watercress.

crimsondonkey likes this.
  3. Big Tabs

Yes.
    I love toast. Toast and pate. Toast and marmite. Just toast with enough butter to leave teeth marks after a bite... yum. Never mind poached egg on toast. I want some now.
    Manky cheap white bread I don't like, and don't eat. I haven't taken sugar in tea or coffee for years.
    I will look up Livlife and Hilo bread, never heard of them. I normally eat chunky wholemeal/ multi grain stuff, and I don't eat much of that.
    thank you

4. Big Tabs

I am not against fat, it is usually were the flavour is. I am not keen to up my fat intake, I have spent years cutting the fat off of bacon. I do think a ribeye or popeye steak has more flavour due to the fat marbled through it.

When I was a child one of my favourite foods was pork belly, delicious thick fat. Also stew made with breast of lamb (very fatty) - although drooling now, I am not sure I can go back to the seventies. Tempting.

5. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Had this diagnosis a couple of years ago and i'm fine now.

I usually have a couple of slices of toast with fish for breakfast and hold back on carbs for the rest of the day, loads of veg including onions ( a bit sugary) and few pulses (carby)

Don't regularly eat anything sugary, the christmas cake lasted until mid February, the sugar pot will only be dusted off when the children come to stay.

I've lost about half a stone, largely by cutting down on alcohol and avoiding too much fat. Employed a secretary so I've cut out a lot of sitting at a desk and now do more outdoor work; a great change as I was getting burnt out in there.

I deliberately chose easy modifications to my life which appear to be completely sustainable.

A bonus is that I now feel healthier than I have since being run over by a bus on our 10th anniversary in 2013.

venton, Big Tabs and hifinutt like this.
  6. Big Tabs

Ha! the last thing I want is another forum, I find it hard enough trying to remember what I have written on pfm never mind introducing another thing I will forget about!
    today, the 'box of lies,' tells me that I weigh 13 st 7lb - I think I am 5'10" ish although I haven't checked for 20 yrs. Not massively obese, but overweight. This is why I was initially shocked by the prediabetes diagnosis. I made the mistake of thinking type 2 diabetes is for the grossly overweight, silly me.
    I am informed I am 53, bizarrely one of the things I cannot recall easily. (it goes with not knowing what year it is)

7. Big Tabs

Wow, well done.
    I just put your book suggestion to the missus, it turns out we already have it...
    She shoved it under my nose yesterday, I didn't like it because it looked boring and had no pictures.

I will try and overcome my dreadful prejudice against books without pretty pictures. (the book has just been thrown at me.)
    Thank you, I will have a look.

8. Big Tabs

Thanks,
    "I deliberately chose easy modifications to my life which appear to be completely sustainable."

this is the key for me, easy and sustainable.

Good to hear that people have made changes and they have worked.

9. billo

billo pfm Member

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

Double check you have the same book, there are plenty of colour pictures in it. There is also the “fast” book which is word based totally. Whilst there are recipes in the fast book they don’t compare well at all to the linked one.

.sjb

Big Tabs likes this.
  11. Big Tabs

Well spotted. It is a different book, this one >

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-800-c...R3JQGFKP5C8&psc=1&refRID=025YSJXS8R3JQGFKP5C8

Great stuff, I will probably order that one, or convince the wife she needs it.
    Thank you.

12. Big Tabs

13. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

As a T2, I think a couple of things might not have been mentioned. Lidl make a very nice low GI cob loaf with a lovely crust and soft interior and also some pretty decent high protein rolls. If you’re cutting down on carbs then you have to get calories from somewhere and there are only four sources, carbs, protein, fat (I eat loads of cheese, especially Brie) and alcohol. Low GI means the carbs are absorbed more slowly into the blood stream. Additionally, avoid beer, lager and white wine. Red wine is fine but does have around 600 calories per bottle, so moderation is always the important part. Beer is basically liquid flour and therefore very bad for diabetics. Finally, there are few other changes you can make. Brown rice instead of white and wholewheat pasta instead to the normal version.

Oh, and when I was diagnosed, I was advised to be very wary of pizza. The impact on blood glucose levels can be very long. As a result of the changes I made to my diet I have been below pre-diabetic level for a number of years now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Big Tabs likes this.
  14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Good for you, but this is hardly a ringing endorsement, now is it? ;)

15. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Surely you either have diabetes or you haven’t? Maybe it’ll be pre pre diabetes next?

16. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

me too. Carb controls - weighed out pasta etc.... few if any cakes treats etc (i've never had a sweet tooth), increased protein. Decreased booze to just weekends only. Lost about 2 stone gradually. Reality is I should lose more, but my blood sugar levels are within the bounds of normal now.

I found it hugely useful to buy a blood sugar monitoring kit to monitor my own blood sugar so I could see first hand the impact of my food intake on my blood sugar. This wasnt recommended by my GP, but he was impressed by the excel spreadsheets I showed him. I dont bother any more now.

crimsondonkey likes this.
  17. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes about a year ago. It is a thing, just not full on Type 2 diabetes and can be controlled or reversed through diet and exercise.

I changed my diet. I eliminated one food group completely - chocolate bars. I cook meals from scratch now and now eat more veg and fruit (though I do have to watch how much greenery I eat as I am on Warfarin and too much green veg can harm it's effectiveness - I am currently below my target INR level and my warfarin dosage has been increased :().

I now exercise more, well I now exercise. My job is sedentary (IT) and I work from home due to other health reasons.

Since my diagnosis I have lost over 30 lbs and can climb the 122 steps up to the Upper West stand at the Amex without stopping or being out of breath.

I did have some pre-op tests last year and I asked about my blood sugar level then, they said it was fine. I've got a blood test booked for early next month.

@Big Tabs- good luck with your journey.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    crimsondonkey and lordsummit like this.
  18. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

Not doubting you but why is red wine a free pass? (it's music to my ears so I want to have evidence for Mrs Sloop!)

.sjb

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

True, but I found reducing from the two or three bottles a night to just the one, helped

peterm likes this.
  20. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

The way I understand it is that red wine has a much lower glycemic index than white wine does. That means the sugar (carbs) in it are absorbed into the blood stream more slowly which means you don’t get the sudden spike in blood glucose readings that you get with higher GI foods and drinks. And that’s what you really need to try and avoid. The only problem with almost all alcoholic drinks is that they have empty calories, in that they have no other nutrients in them.

The sudden spike in blood glucose levels after eating is typically what causes the post-lunch slumbers.

When I was initially diagnosed as T2 my GP said to look up low GI foods and eat those in preference to anything else. I was also lucky that my local health authority runs courses for diabetics which go through what it is, how it affects you and what you can do to limit the issues that can arise. I was doubly lucky in that the first course after I was diagnosed started only a couple of weeks later. (The course is called X-Pert if that helps).

I treated diabetes as a challenge to be overcome. My first thoughts were what is the worst that could happen and once I’d found that out (lose eyesight and/or feet) I decided that I needed to do whatever was required to ensure the worst outcomes were avoided.

Big Tabs and Sloop John B like this.