1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Diabetes ~ Borderline Diabetes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Big Tabs, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

That is bad news re: beer. I tend to drink 'ale,' if anything - a quick look on duckduckgo and it is not good news. This is a downer. I have at least 10 bottles of Spitfire Ale in the 'wine' rack. Depressing. Balls.
    Red wine can give me guts ache, although I have found the more I spend on a bottle, the better it is... (who would have thought it)
    Been using brown rice for years, so no prob there. Wholewheat pasta is disgusting, I would rather just have less or none.

It is good news that dietary changes have worked for you julifriend.

That seems to be the general message so far, that dietary changes can make positive results.

julifriend and crimsondonkey like this.
  2. billo

billo pfm Member

No problem but, you do know that that book is ALL pictures? :) :)

Big Tabs likes this.
  3. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I would still suggest that you get some definitive advice from your usual (not locum) doctor.

As Chops said above, what does "pre-diabetic" mean? Seems to me it means not diabetic but with a possibility of becoming diabetic which probably applies to most of the UK population.

4. Big Tabs

DO NOT READ the following if Squeamish >>>

When I was a juniour nurse in the 1980's I had the job of washing the feet of an old man who had diabetes.

His feet were a purple bruised looking colour and the closer you got to his toes the blacker the colour was. I dutifully and very gently washed his feet in a bowl of water. The smell was intense, I can still smell it now if I think hard enough. Long story short, one of his toes fell off into the water. He didn't notice. I did notice. I didn't gag, I carried on. Funny how some things stick with you.

crimsondonkey likes this.
  5. Big Tabs

Look it up, you may find it educational.

6. Big Tabs

I refer you to the answer I gave to chops.

Having worked with many doctors over many years, there is no such thing as definitive advice.

7. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Good luck then if you prefer rely on pfm diabetes experts...

8. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

Personally, I would not discount the advice of those who live with diabetes and manage it. Mind you, determining whether someone is managing it is another matter entirely. Many diabetics seem to refuse to make the changes required and hence suffer the consequences. A colleague at work says he is managing to keep his blood glucose numbers in a sensible range but tucks into cakes whenever they’re offered. And that’s something I wouldn’t dream of doing.

The dietician I saw shortly after being diagnosed tried to get me to eat far more carbs than would be sensible and she wanted me to cut down on my fats intake. Five years later, I think her advice was completely wrong and I’m glad I sought advice elsewhere. The NHS has a fixation with a thing called ‘The Eatwell Plate’ which is probably not suitable for diabetics.

I spent a lot of time on the diabetes.co.uk web site and there is a lot of practical advice there.

crimsondonkey and Big Tabs like this.
  9. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Yes I suggested the diabetes forum to read and learn from others, not necessarily to join.

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

It seems to me, the advice being given is about the experiences of people re. the effectiveness of various dietary regimes. How well they worked for them, and how hard they were to live with. That's exactly the sort of advice I'd expect a place like this to be good for, and exactly the sort of advice I wouldn't trouble my (rather overworked) GP for.

Big Tabs and julifriend like this.
  11. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Having diabetes does not make one an expert on diabetes. If anyone chooses to have their condition and treatment determined by members of a hi-fi forum, good luck.

12. Big Tabs

You seem to be repeating yourself.

Having made your point, you choose to repeat yourself.

It reminds me of a child that continually asks for something they have been denied.

That toddler screaming for sweets in the supermarket.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

A difference in GI between red and white wine strikes me as unlikely. Both are 12% abv, a bit of residual sugar and not much else. I don't see the tannins affecting GI. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

On a happier note, you can reverse T2 E with diet. A friend of mine lived on junk food and was a fat bloke. Got T2D, started cycling, dieted, lost weight, now feels great. No meds and best of all he can still enjoy a few beers on occasion. He really enjoys his cycling too.

14. Chefren

Chefren pfm Member

15. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Dessert wines, mostly easily avoided. It is easy to know what wines have high sugar.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The sugar content of the wine is the least of your worries against the 18 ml of pure alcohol in every glass. Alcohol has a dramatic effect o on blood sugar.

17. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

The Eatwell Plate always struck me as a rather bizarre diet, loads of carbs and quite a few unhealthy drinks.

Maybe suited the dietary fashions of the time.

I always think of alcohol as equivalent to sugar so I guess that takes the place of a couple of slices on the eatwell plate.

julifriend likes this.
  18. Remember when I started on a surgical and vascular ward, things like this where a common occurrence. Hearing people wail in the night because they woke up and realised they still had no legs, is something that will always stay with me. Diabetes is a very serious condition.

You may find this helpful, also has a podcast if you click on the bottom link:

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroo...-diabetes-but-is-rarely-achieved-or-recorded/

Your main goal should be to achieve a lifestyle change which results in sustainable weight loss

Big Tabs likes this.
  19. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I am replying to others who choose to reply to me. Feel free not to read what I post.

20. Big Tabs

The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet Recipe Book: Simple delicious meals for fast, healthy weight loss
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Week-Blo...y+recipe+book&qid=1555313281&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The book has arrived today.
    Happy to say it is a good size (just a bit smaller than A4) and has photographs!) It also has enough space around the text for me to add my own comments (something I do often with cook books, alternate ingredients I have tried, and a 'tasty' score) - so I will plough through this today for inspiration. I am crap at following recipes, so I will probably end up bastardising the lot, maybe.
    Thanks to Sloop John B.