1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pretenders

Discussion in 'music' started by nbaptista, Jul 9, 2019.

1. nbaptista

nbaptista pfm Member

I bought today the first record in vinyl.It is a álbum from 1980, and it sounds great.Chrissie Hynde sings so well.That´s what I like in vinyl, you are allways finding out new artists and bands from the eighties and the seventies!

Big Tabs likes this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The first Pretenders album was a huge hit in the UK, it was everywhere and spawned a couple of high charting singles. One of the many times a band has struggled to jump the hurdle set by their debut!

stephen bennett likes this.
  3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

'Learning to Crawl' gets close. IMHO.

4. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

I love Chrissie Hynde's voice, I love "Get Close" - buy the lot on vinyl :)

5. nbaptista

nbaptista pfm Member

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got a nice signed (by Chrissie Hynde) copy of Get Close. Looks great as its such a visually striking cover anyway.

7. Bertie Lasky

Bertie Lasky Well-Known Member

Not consulted Sir Google..but were'nt Ms Hynde in a band called The Moors Murders..which were banned?
    Just a flickering memory from the Desperate Bicyles days.

8. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I love the sadly departed James Honeyman-Scott’s guitar playing.

He was on John Robert Godfrey’s (The Enid) solo album.

Stephen

alan967tiger likes this.
  9. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

I still have the original album on vinyl. Lousy pressing and probably the thinnest/bendiest bit of vinyl I've ever seen. Bought it at a crappy budget record outlet - think it was an import from Spain/Latin America or some such. Despite the awful pressing, The Wait has to be one of my all time favourite tracks. Just simply one of the best guitar riffs out there (imho).

Saw them back in college when they toured with UB40 on the University circuit, all four of the original lineup. Opened with The Wait and took off from there :)

edit - live footage of the four in full flow:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    stephen bennett likes this.
  10. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I like The Pretenders - 'Private Life' most of all, I came backwards to it via Grace Jones. I like both versions, but Grace Jones is my preferred version.

11. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Their first two albums were great.

12. guey

guey pfm Member

Grace Jones' version is Chrissie Hynde's favourite as well apparently

Big Tabs likes this.