1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Professional soldering

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by bugbear, Jan 30, 2019.

1. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

ToTo Man and Rosewind like this.
  2. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

40 yrs ago, I was taught to keep my greasy fingers off the tracks, but otherwise, good technique!

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

40 years ago my QA inspector at GEC McMichael taught me to solder properly by making me completely rework every joint which was not perfect

4. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Our inspector examined every joint with a magnifier, and measured every service loop, and if you had a slack bit of lacing cord, you'd have to strip it all out and start again. A lot of it was MOD work, so cost wasn't a consideration!

5. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Our inspectors must have been to the same training

6. mark.king

mark.king pfm Member

I used to modify the cct boards on TXE4 and then system X telephone exchanges. Struggle getting the right glasses on these days to see what I’m doing. Let it flow and don’t move it are good tips

7. cromodora

cromodora foshfishfie

What’s the purpose of touching the joints again with the soldering iron after snipping the legs off?

8. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

If you are in a rush, and snip the wire before the solder has completely hardened, you can end up with a 'dry' joint. A quick reflow acts as an insurance that the joint is sound.

Darmok and cromodora like this.
  9. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Looks neater too.

10. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

It's so you do not get a copper lead interface exposed to moisture causing corrosion, it was a military requirement but if your electronics are in a modern house, then moisture shouldn't be an issue.

cromodora likes this.
  11. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

EEve blog has some good basic soldering advice in 3 tutorials

Alan

12. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

My old man taught me how to solder, he worked at Thorn EMI at the time. I built a TV from a bag of parts, blank PCBs and a prototype TX90 cabinet with screen installed when i was 12-13 years old. It was my summer project and we checked it every night when he got home. Worked first time, then in september that year my brother nicked it for Uni - twat.....

13. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

More advanced techniques

Ducatiist likes this.
  14. Ducatiist

Ducatiist pfm Member

Blimey thats a really neat job...whats the grey liquid called that he uses instead of the metal solder? looks very useful stuff.
    I think I'll have to put some practice in to get anywhere near that good.

15. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Putting four phono plugs on a cable whilst wearing my reading specs is enough to give me eyestrain nowadays.

mark.king likes this.
  16. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

17. Ducatiist

Ducatiist pfm Member

Thanks for the info...i thought it must've been some sort of liquid solder???
    I assume the solder is on the irons tip then, still very neat.

18. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

Soldering cables into XLR plugs and sockets, phono plugs and panel sockets, first, scrap the target area with a stanley knife or similar until it has scratched or roughed the plating.

Failure to do this will cause the solder joint to be cold or dry and will fall away in time.

Same applies with tarnished copper cable, twist the strands then scrape until you can see shiny metal, solder will then flow easily.

Roadie Crew tip, fyi.

19. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Haven't watched video but it is probably solder paste so yes, it's liquid solder.... this is what is used in industry to make SMD boards up. A thin stainless steel solder screen is made for the board and this has cut-outs where solder paste needs to be applied. It is "squeegied" onto the board, the screen is then lifted and the parts are put on by a pick and place machine. The paste is quite thick and sticky and holds the parts in situ whilst the board goes through an infra red oven on a conveyor belt which melts the solder, often after a while in a pre heating oven.

20. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Really not necessary apart from extreme cases of corrosion or contamination. The solder buckets in XLR's and similar are made from metals with good affinity for solder.