1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Project pick it 2m cartridge

Discussion in 'audio' started by gregory lynch, May 23, 2020.

1. gregory lynch

gregory lynch pfm Member

Just come across this new cartridge,
    this is interesting

The stylus can be replaced with any stylus from the Ortofon 2M range up to (but not including) 2M Black.

The above does not appear on the Henley website, this from AV Online.
    Seems strange it can take the Bronze but not the Black.

The output is high at 7mv but looks a good alternative to the 2m red, I might just take a punt on this but would appreciate you're thoughts. Stay safe.

2. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

3. gregory lynch

gregory lynch pfm Member

Hi, Yes I saw that earlier, didn't see any mention of upgrading the stylus, unless I'm missing something.

4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

These carts are just rebadged Ortofons. No more, no less. If you can get one cheaper than a 2M Red then great.

5. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I was looking at the Pick-It DS2 and thought it looked suspiciously like a re-styled Ortofon Quintet Black.

6. daytona600

7. gregory lynch

gregory lynch pfm Member

I read you're review of that cartridge, very good.
    The 2m pick it looks exactly the same as the Ortofon 2m series, what puzzles me is it will take the Bronze stylus but not the Black.
    The internals must be different somehow to allow this.

8. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

So they say. My bet is that it works fine.

Yeah, really? So ProJect have cartridge designers who tell the guys at Ortofon how to build cartridges? Don't think so. Basically what that means is that ProJect say 'Can we put a different body on it and put our logo here?' and Ortofon say 'Sure'.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  9. daytona600

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I bet that weird body hides an off the shelf Ortofon with a couple of little tweaks. They might ask for a different stylus type or something but I seriously doubt they design a cartridge from the ground up.

11. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Project’s mass marketing, cover all bases strategy concerns me and I worry that their successes may be diluted by the proliferation of so so products. I think you need to sort the wheat from the chaff with this particular brand. I think the cartridges may suffer this as well.

12. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I can tell you from just from looking, that both the DS2 and the cartridge in the article you linked both contain an Ortofon Quintet generator assembly in a different outer shell. It’s very possible that they both have custom stylus tips, but ground up designs they are not.

13. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Ken Kessler seemed impressed.

Del monaco likes this.
  14. narabdela

narabdela who?

Mr Pig likes this.
  15. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Mr Kessler gets impressed with a lot of things.I remember the Wharfedale 8.1s.

Mr Pig likes this.
  16. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I'm not entirely convinced by this. But given the already close relationship between Pro-Ject and Ortofon - most Pro-Ject TTs seem to come fitted with Ortofon's as standard - I'd not be at all surprised to wake up one morning and hear that Project had bought Ortofon. They don't seem short of cash.

17. gregory lynch

gregory lynch pfm Member

Are they not part of the Henley group.

18. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I believe Henley are just the UK distributors for Ortofon and Pro-Ject.

19. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

They do make a bewildering range of turntables which changes all the time but heck, they seem to be doing ok out of it.

Del monaco likes this.
  20. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

They do and their absorption of Musical Fidelity may be interesting with a new A1000 being mooted apparently.