1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Property Particulars - Plot Sizes

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Vinny, Mar 19, 2020.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, that's what he said.

2. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes I may be wrong but I recently challenged my estate agent why they did not put sizes ! I spend many hours a month reading rightmove and Zoopla assisting folks who want to move and trying to get info , rather like Phil Spencer :)

3. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Near Barnt Green - Have you got the right passport?

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I have only ever looked for property with plots that are routinely measured in acres, basically, a minimum of an acre.
    Having never looked for anything else online, I can't really say much more than that. Back in the day when you had to visit EAs in person or 'phone them, it was simple (in theory), you just asked for what you wanted - large garden, very large plot, minimum of an acre, or whatever.

Online, if a plot is at least very large, it generally gets a mention in acres, but how anyone would find a property with just a genuinely large garden, apart from local knowledge, I am unsure, although you could search using the terms "large plot" and "large garden" very easily. These terms would likely be FAR more useful/accurate than using the word acre when looking for an acre and up, as very few measurements are accurate (I viewed another place yesterday evening, advertised as - very precisely - 0.93 acre plot. Tricky to judge exactly due to shape, but I reckoned 0.2-0.3 acres. Was it anywhere near the size of a football pitch? NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE. But how many people know the size of a football pitch? I have sat at work when someone assured somebody else that it was 2 acres! I corrected them.)

Try a search that I do regularly to see what I mean - centred on Derby, 40 miles radius, to 450K, keyword or filter of acre. You won't get huge numbers, but quite a few, including everything listed by a Nottingham EA called Acres. You also get properties just walking distance from the 200 acre open space down the road, and the property overlooking the 7 acre lawned site owned by STW etc. etc. etc. - anything with acre in the listing.

EAs and plot sizes - they never have done, there is no requirement to, and Joe Average has not the very first clue. How many people have viewed my current place and dropped their jaw when they saw how big it is at just shy of an acre? A lot. I did/do point out that the particulars state plot size and it is a GENUINE acre, near enough.

hifinutt likes this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That's a demonstration that money can't buy good taste. Nice back garden, mind.

hifinutt likes this.
  7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's no different if you are looking for a house with a big garage or outbuildings. The only thing the EAs are interested in is how many bedrooms and where it is, take a few photos and after that the house sells itself. EAs don't have to actually do anything, so they generally don't. They pay peanuts and get monkeys.

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

its pretty stressful for estate agents here with a lot of hard work , lots of viewings , chasing up solicitors etc. they are worth their weight in gold for a good one . we recently tried [ a charity] to rent a house for a pretty modest fee . after 3 months of aggro , timewasters and various other problems we pulled the plug . they only got 100 quid for all that marketing and hassle !

9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

My only gripe with EAs is that, FOR ME, they don't do some VERY simple things, that take no time at all in 99% of cases, like measuring/checking plot size. Plot size does not have to be super-accurate, but to be wrong by a factor of even 2 is unforgiveable, inexcusable, and should be criminal, the latter of which I was under the impression it was.

It is different. You can search including the word acre. It gets rid of anything that doesn't mention acre, although it includes lots that have to be read through to see that the word refers to other than what I am looking for.

One word of "warning" - an acre plot adds £50-100k to the value of the basic dwelling. 2 acres adds a lot more still, assuming it is grazable - get to 2 acres and you are into knowledgeable horsey person territory. If they can genuinely afford to be seriously looking at equestrian properties, they are VERY likely to be comfortably well-heeled and that drives prices beyond the aspiring horsey people.

10. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

One thing to note is that if the plot exceeds 5000m2 you can be liable for capital gains tax if you ever sell the house. It doesn't matter if it is your principal residence.

11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Not quite, admittedly going back a few years - https://www.ashfords.co.uk/news-and...ng-a-home-with-large-grounds-has-tax-pitfalls

I happen to know a TINY number of people who have had substantial "country residences" that have sold moderately recently and they certainly paid no CGT, so it is not policed very well.

Confounded somewhat by this - https://www.taxation.co.uk/articles/2017-11-28-337311-main-residence-relief-and-gardens

12. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

i suppose these days most folks use a laser measuring device , i was at a house 3 weeks ago and the agent did that in no time at all . i guess those devices might have limitations outside ???

13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , very nice area , good for walking and near motorway

14. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Nothing so complicated needed - my strides are 10 per 11 yards. Just pace the plot out using common-sense (perhaps not in abundant supply amongst EAs) and qualify in particulars with "approx." - precision is not needed. Use the building, which is measured (internally) to gauge things.
    I also viewed a property with an acre where the very nice, very ordinary 3-bed detached sat in the middle of both dimensions of the plot, with about 4-6 feet of the plot in front and to the back of the house, so the plot was about 30 feet or so wide (being very generous). Was the plot around 500 yards long/wide? Well, it tapered to a point, and was just several times the width of the house, so do the sums - maybe 0.1 acres, maybe 0.2 at the very most, I was too polite to pace that one out when being shown round by the vendor.

15. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Thanks Vinny, we are in that position. We sold our house on it's 6000m plot last year. It's not that much over the limit and the grounds were all maintained as a garden. The plot was originally larger but we built a house in the garden in partnership with my brother in law for him and my mother in law. When she died my brother in law bought out our share. We paid CGT on our gain on that property.

16. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Indeed - and a railway station too...

hifinutt likes this.
  17. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

In New Zealand we measure properties smaller than a hectare in square metres, so that would be 4050. There's a little confusion as the lots were originally divided into acres etc so it would be called an acre, but the area in square metres is always advertised.

In the city it makes it easy to compare a 265m2 property to a 375m2 property. Not sure what fractions of an acre they are but it sounds like you could just call them both a quarter!

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Similar in France, they quote garden area in Sqm and living space in sqm with rules or conventions about habitable areas. Hallways and bathrooms don't count, iirc.

19. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

I wouldn't have much confidence in the ability of some estate agents to work out an area even if they do measure accurately.

Bought a few plots over the years, best field was 0.8 Ha oversize.

20. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Must be a good agent - I've never had an EA actually measure the plot size, either by pacing or by laser.