1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ps4 novice - help wanted

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Sean K, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

I'm a reasonably proficient, occasional fps player on pc e.g. fallout, far cry, borderlands. Nothing too fast or hectic and I've never played online.

The day before the 4 week lockdown started in NZ, I cracked and bought a ps4.

Being used to controlling with a mouse and keyboard, I find aiming practically impossible on the ps4 (borderlands 3). I can hardly get past the tutorial.

Has anyone else made the jump from PC to console and had similar problems? I was thinking of treating myself, I mean us, to GTA or RDR2, but at this rate, I'll end up throwing the controller at the TV. Any tips or advice appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I think it is hard if you have only used a PC.,

My kids and I have had Sony playstations, from PS1 onwards.

I tried to use an Xbox once and couldn't use the handset / controller, my muscle memory now has playstation controls ingrained.

I used to play Quake Live on my PC, keyboard and mouse, and couldn't play that on another console...

Only advice is to stick with it, maybe play some simpler games to get used to it?

3. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Haven’t made the jump, but if you’ve been using a mouse and keyboard this long you’ll probably struggle to change.

But why change? You can use a keyboard & mouse either wired or Bluetooth with a PS4?!

keyboards and mice are even banned in competition as they offer an unfair at vantage as they are known to be more accurate.

look at at Hori tactical assault controllera and the like too.

https://hori.co.uk/tactical-assault-commander-four-k2-for-playstation-4/

4. Unregistered

Unregistered pfm Member

Check & change the controller setting to 'inverted look' if that's how you use the mouse & keyboard.

I've not used a mouse and keyboard since Quake 3 Arena, so that's 20+ years practice with a controller and I still think they're shite for fps :D

5. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

It’s just familiarity. I used to be an active competitive Quake player years ago, and the idea of anything other than mouse & keyboard for FPS was hilarious to me.

Now I’m passing lockdown time killing demons at 90mph in Doom Eternal on my Xbox, and don’t really feel hampered by the controls at all.

Incidentally, a recent tweet from Charlie Brooker said ‘if you don’t invert Y axis, you’re dead to me’, and I’m deffo in his camp - non-inverted Y axis would be impossible to get used to. So Unregistered has a point, you may find it more natural.

Games like GTA 5 would be easier though - not FPS, and with a lock on aim button. Strongly recommended if you’ve not played it.