1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

PSU for SBT

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by ExtremePie, Oct 12, 2012.

1. ExtremePie

ExtremePie pfm Member

I thought it might be fun to hook up the SBT by using one of the outputs from my Exposure IX Psu. I assume I need to drop the voltage from 24 to 5, any suggestions on the best way to so this? The Psu needs to be ~ 6m from the SBT.

Cheers

2. mcai7et2

mcai7et2 pfm Member

Best bet would be to add another stage of regulation close to the SBT, alternatively you can modify the IX regulator to output 5v (I guess), but this might be a step too far.

3. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

stepping down from 24V to 5V is easy with an adjustable reg such as a LM317 but its a big step as far as heat dissipation is concerned so it will always run hot and waist energy.
    Better to start off with a 9v transformer, that would give you about 13V after smoothing and rectification then you would loose about 5V through the regulator so you would just have to trim it from 8V down to 5V which is just about right

Alan

4. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

^ defiantly a lot of dissipation, I would go Alans route and forget the Exposure IX Psu

5. ExtremePie

ExtremePie pfm Member

Thanks for the responses. Look alike building one properly is the best option.

6. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

Nother thought, I have no knowledge of the Exposure IX Psu but would doubt its anywhere nearly optimised for the heavy current loading that the SBT places. Also the SBT (imo) throws quite a bit of junk back up its supply line and this would probably be bad if your Exposure Psu is shared with the nice analog stages in your amplifiers.

Tony

7. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Bemused totally agree each component should have its own supply and sharing is a bad thing, never understood the Naim thing of a pre amp that required a quiet supply being fed from a power amp which is meant to pump big style raw current? very strange?????? this process requires two independantly resourced supplies;) IMO
    Alan