1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Quad 405 case refurb

Discussion in 'classic' started by lilolee, May 27, 2018.

1. lilolee

lilolee pfm Member

I have a really scruffy 405-2 which I fancy repainting.

Any clues as to what paint to use which matches closely the original?

And what should I do about the odd knock on the anodised heatsinks

2. 405man

405man pfm Member

Rover gunmetal from Halfords is a close match to the grey finish. you can lightly spray the heatsinks with satin black which will give you a close match to the later 405-2s

Stuart

3. lilolee

lilolee pfm Member

Stuart thanks for that. Mine however are the strange green/brown/grey colour.

4. rhgbristol

rhgbristol pfm Member

The 405 and 405/2 originally had black anodised front heatsink fins. These can be refurbished by disassembling, cleaning throroughly (two halves if I remember) and lightly respraying with a satin black rattle can finish. Rustoleum is a good paint for this - nice quality paint, and good non drip nozzle.

Regards the rest of the case work, older ones were a greeny brown, later ones more a grey - the rover colour as mentioned above is probably the nearest commonly available colour.

As regards the older colour, I can only suggest taking a sample part of the casework and seeing what rattle can tops compare favourable.

A rub down with fine grade wet and dry emery paper and maybe grey primer/ further light rub down will yield good results.

As with all spraying, several light coats and not rushing the job will pay dividends.

Quad in Huntingdon service dept may be able to help with the colour and there may be a RAL code they can give you. The guy there to ask for is Rob - who has been there years and knows the kit inside out.

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You could do worse than talk to a local car place, they might do it for a few quid. Rattle cans are not the cheapest these days, you will pay £8 a go in a car shop unless you are prepared to use generic blacks and whites from Poundland. The older Quad colour is unusual but you are right, Rover did a greenish met grey that isn't far off.

6. lilolee

lilolee pfm Member

Cheers for the advice guys. I'll check out the options and post my finding here.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The thing that is odd with the Quad colours is they are both a matt sheen and close to a metal-flake. Very hard to emulate and I’ve never yet seen a respray that looks right.

8. Matty297

Matty297 pfm Member

Try Volvo lava sand pearl!

9. lilolee

lilolee pfm Member

^Mine aren't Grey so that won't do.

I'm going to try Vauxhall Sovereign Gold, with Grey Primer after a rub down with T Cut and maybe some filler.