1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Quad vs Ncore power amp.

Discussion in 'audio' started by Fretbuzz, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Currently have a Quad Artera Play DAC/Pre partnered with a Nord Ncore power amp – driving AN-Es – and wondering how the matching Quad Artera Stereo power amp would compare. Any related experiences?

Nothing wrong with the Nord just curious. Have never heard a Quad power amp and the current dumping ones in particular seem interesting.

Cheers.

2. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Any thoughts at all?

3. Moppit

Moppit pfm Member

My thoughts are that with some lovely but highly efficient AN-E's a pair of Quad Tube monoblocks or such like would be the preferred option?

Ncore's sound a bit like overkill to me? In theory a class A-B Quad should sound a bit sweeter than the N-cores (D-class?) but I have no experience of this.

4. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Cheers. Had to rule valve amps out, in that I need something family friendly/can be left unattended.

I've used the E's with valve and hybrid amps before but tbh the Nord works really well with them too. No harshness or whatever else you've heard re Class D, which it is. Just smooth, clean, easy power.

If the matching Quad amp would bring a touch more mid range bloom to compliment the Nord's bass control and tidy highs it might not go amiss for some of the less well-recorded music, but I don't know how it would compare or if they'd be any negatives alongside it.

Will try one at some point either way.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Never heard an Ncore, but have owned a Bel Canto tripath unit, a Chinese class A solid state, a Canary CA608, own an Artera and have previously heard some El84 and 30Bs into my current Impulse Ta'us.

The 30Bs were utterly lovely in their mid-range, but didn't have the low end control that my Ta'us seem to thrive on.
    The Canary CA609 (I think it used El34s) was only marginally better in the mid than the tripath amp, and way behind on low end. I liked the class A solid state unit, but despite the 94db/w efficiency of my speakers, was just not grunty enough.
    The Artera is for me the best all rounder that I've had in my system. Nearly valve like mids, better detail than the older Quad QSP that I've owned, the bass control of the tripath, yet with the naturalness of a non-digital amp. Since I bought the Artera, I've simply dropped out of looking for "the next step".

Zombie and Fretbuzz like this.
  6. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Some good context and reference - thanks.

7. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

The bass on the quad wont be as dry or as tight but the mids will be sweeter, rounder sounding, ime of ncore vs any good ab amp

Fretbuzz likes this.
  8. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Hmm not experience with class A/B and NCores, I have both here.
    Keith

9. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

10. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

To clarify...

I've had/heard enough AB amps to certainly not lump them all in to one type or sound. Some might well substitute the Nord nicely enough, others definitely not...

It's only since getting the Play that I've really looked in the Quad amps. As well as the above re sound, I'm at a point now where I just want to keep it really simple and forget the gear, and the all-in-one-ness of the Artera set up appeals, if even on a slightly superficial level.