1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Time

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Sep 28, 2017.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Theyre gagging for hard Brexit and I partly believe it should be given unto them every bit as hard as they like. Then stand back and watch for a year.

2. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I wouldn't take it as a barometer. These days, it's about as representative as the Jeremy Kyle Show.

Anyway, well done to Diane Abbott and the Labour Party for sticking to their guns:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...na-bruce-bbc-abuse-mistreatment-a8736566.html
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-bbc-video-footage-poll-labour-a8737161.html

I have it on good authority (from someone who used to work on QT) that recordings of the warm-up will exist and, if the BBC refuses to release them, I hope they'd be obtainable under an FoI request.

3. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

There was a sort of clarification.

4. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Interesting, thanks. The BBC is extremely reluctant to admit mistakes in my experience, so any concession, however slight, is significant. I''watch the beginnng on iPlayer tomorrow.

5. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

It was about 2/3rds they through when she announced next week's location.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    droodzilla likes this.
  6. The Far North

The Far North pfm Member

7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Yes, saw it. Typical BBC non-apology. I hope the Labour Party succeeds in getting the tapes of the warm-up (which may or may not corroborate the claims from some audience members that Fiona Bruce and a member of staff mocked Diane Abbott before recording for transmission started).

Incidentally, my contact, who's worked on QT, also happens to have worked with Fiona Bruce on several occasions. He informs me that she rarely had anything interesting or original to say but wasn't shy about saying it ("a gob on a stick" were his words).

Snufkin and Weekender like this.
  8. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Haven't watched QT since Robin Day's time. It was stuffed for effect then.

9. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Fiona Bruce talked about her comment the week before that the latest opinion poll said the Tories were well ahead of Labour. Bruce said she had no knowledge of two other polls, which said the reverse. I think she said apologies right at the end, but could be wrong. Diane Abbot wasn't mentioned though.

A former Tory Junior Minister told outright lies about No Deal and Brexit. The string vests in the audience cheered her on. The hard right of the Conservatives and ERG don't give a monkey's about lying to the public. Bruce did try to pick the ex-Minister up on it, but the general impression is the BBC flood QT with hard Brexiteers. They are going to sell us Leaving, whether we like it or not.

Jack

Still and TheDecameron like this.
  10. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

" The string vests" a jackbarron gem.

11. jackbarron

Cheers.

Jack

12. narabdela

narabdela who?

I know a couple of people who have crossed her path and found her to be quite unpleasant.

13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Sorry, no, the BBC is not FOI-able on stuff connected to its output.

15. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

I've never been that keen on Fiona Bruce's presentational style, I find her too 'head-girlish', a bit patronising. I don't watch much TV, but was in the room when QT came on last night. I fell asleep about 5 minutes in, and woke up some time after Delingpole admitted defeat (I've seen it since) on the Andrew Neil politics show.

16. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Thanks! Do you know why? I can see it might open a can of worms but opponents of FOI said the same about the entire thing.

17. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Yes. The BBC is subject to FOI but it has what is known in the trade as a 'derogation' - ie a get-out, which means it isn't subject to FOI for any information it holds relating to its purposes of 'art, literature or journalism'. In fairness, it's not difficult to see why it would need such a thing - no other broadcasters are subject to FOI and its rivals could FOI it to try to get hold of scoops, or details of projects it was working on if it wasn't excused from responsibility for dealing with them.

Whether you'd really classify QT as 'journalism', or even 'art' these days is another matter entirely, of course...

droodzilla likes this.
  18. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

shameless plagiarism :)

jackbarron likes this.
  19. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I think that's what is meant by 'a Jackbarron gem'.

;) (only joking, Jack).

20. jackbarron

We've all got to get our words from somewhere and I am not above stealing them. Anything for an easy life.

Jack