1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rack choice

Discussion in 'audio' started by ExtremePie, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ExtremePie

ExtremePie pfm Member

Hi all,

I am currently looking for a slightly outsized rack. I'm after something that will take 50cm wide components side by side on each shelf, sound and look great and be a reasonable price. Any thoughts out there?

EP

2. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

You would be better putting one component on each shelf.

Isoblue.

3. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Why?

4. Bagga

Bagga Our amps go to 11!

I am thinking of something similar when I reconfigure my rooms at home next year. I came across some interesting racks at Finite Element -

http://www.finite-elemente.de/en/racks/tragwerk/specifications

http://www.finite-elemente.de/extern/gesamtkatalog.pdf

I have no idea of prices yet but may be worth a look?

Andy

5. koi

koi pfm Member

Finite elemente I use them

They work but our quite expensive

6. Nic P

Nic P pfm Member

Finite Elemente are the best sounding racks I have heard but new are fabulously expensive. They occasionally come up second hand, particularly at MAX (Midlands Audio Exchange).

Nic P

7. JOHN VAN BAVEL

JOHN VAN BAVEL pfm Member

For great looking racks try Schroers and Schroers . I have no idea what they sound like .

8. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

I suspect you will have to get an AV rack. Stands unique are domestically friendly and secondhand are a bargain.

9. Re-Joyce

Re-Joyce ... Jason H that is.

10. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

I didn't realise that Hutter did bigger units. I do rather like Hutter, both sonically and visually.

I still think that as a general rule, one component per shelf is better as the whole idea of separate components is to keep them apart. Separating brawn (power amps and power supplies) and brain (source components, phonostages, preamps) components brings sonic benefits in particular.

Disclaimer: this is based on subjective experience not measurement or ABX/DBT.

It would be interesting to know why the OP wants two components per shelf. There may be alternative solutions, if only we knew the problem.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Assuming that all trannies emit vibration, surely it's best to maximise isolation of kit. Certainly this has been received (and logical) wisdom over the years.

This is probably why the shelves of most tables (or racks or supports) made for hifi have tended to be made to accommodate one standard width piece of kit. Also, of course, why the top shelf is usually further isolated by spikes or whatever.

Audio supports are a huge industy; have they all got it wrong? Furthermore, wall shelves are a cut above tables, though not as universally applicable to domestic circumstances.

12. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

For turntables maybe because of footfall but I think not for electronics.

1) Walls pick up more vibration from the speakers.

2) Tables provide a better mechanical route to ground.

13. monya

monya pfm Member

There's a F.E rack for sale at Audio consultants if you have a deep pocket

14. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

A bargain at £2750 with some marks, no box and delivery extra!

Um pass.......

Cheers,

DV the man with some Hutter

15. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

A brand new MusicWorks ReVo is £1300. This is the best stand I have heard to date but looks are not its strong feature.

16. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

How can anyone 'hear' a stand? You'll be telling me now that mains cables make a difference. I know a stand can enable a bouncy turntable like an LP12 to sound better through isolation.

BTW I have 4 off 1.2KVA Xformers in my amps. No vibration and no hum that I can detect. Also they run really cool.

Cheers,

DV

17. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

My views on mains cables are widely known and a poll was conducted... This is not a subjectivist/objectivist circular thread. The OP mentioned sonic considerations.

If anyone wants to assert the view that a stand could not possibly affect the performance of the equipment placed upon it please start another thread.

Best sounding obviously refers to the equipment placed upon it.

18. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Hi,

I replaced the hard feet under my power amps with soft ones, and the sound changed not for the better, so I swapped them back and all was well.

Vibration can affect components.

Pete

19. trio leo

trio leo pfm Member

I have had a direct comparison with a well known brand table with wooden shelves and aluminium legs and the MusicWorks ReVo and it was chalk and cheese, the ReVo was far superior IMHO, however, fitting components side by side may be a problem depending on size.
    I thought £1300 was a lot for a stand but it would appear compared to some mentioned it's not that bad.
    I suppose the shape and Acrylic look is a personal thing, I quite like it.

regards Al

20. Fen dancer

Fen dancer Amiable Oaf

How about the old faithful Quadraspire?

[​IMG]