1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Man's Sport

Discussion in 'off topic' started by merlin, May 28, 2014.

1. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I watch stages like yesterday's over the Stelvio and then I watch Real Madrid's pride of hairdressers mincing around Lisbon like a spoilt children and I wonder what on earth makes people look up to Footballers.

Road cycling is the hardest professional sport in the world. Respect where it's due.

HarryB likes this.
  2. Daniel Quinn

Daniel Quinn Banned

Drugs stop you feeling the cold :D

3. Unregistered

Unregistered pfm Member

Great stage yesterday; Quintana was superb!

[​IMG]

4. merlin

I would bet my life there was more dopers and cheats on the pitch in Lisbon than in the entire Giro d'Italia field. The difference is they try to catch them in cycling ;)

5. GTM

GTM Resitance is futile

You'd be throwing your life away making that bet. Cycling is rife with people flouting the wording of the rules. As is every performance related sport. Armstrong was not a lone wolf amongst innocents.

The anti doping authorities are continuously playing catch up. Each year they ban new substances that competitors have been found to be taking to give them a performance edge. Not technically illegal until banned, but definitely against the ethos of fair sporting behaviour. Cycling's no different to 100m sprinting, Rowing, Olympic Weightlifting etc.

narabdela likes this.
  6. merlin

I'd argue nothing is cheating unless it is deemed illegal.

The difference in soccer is that there are virtually no controls in place to prevent players from flouting the internationally recognised anti doping regulations.

Take a guess at how many blood tests there were in the Bundesliga last season.

7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

8. merlin

Sorry Joe I meant last season - as in 2012/13.

I know they finally introduced tests this season - it will be interesting to see if their clubs regain the level of performance they demonstrated prior to the tests arrival.

9. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

[​IMG]
    I'll get my poles.

10. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Same thing. One illustrates pretending to be injured in order to cheat, the other illustrates cheating in order to not to be injured.

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Except that he clearly is injured, the clue is the torn clothing, the blood and large areas of exposed and grazed skin. I know very well that that hurts.

12. Tw99

Tw99 source last

Do people look up to footballers or just envy them ? Could be the very fact that they merely have to ponce around for 90 minutes a week and get paid multi-millions of ££/Euros per year ! At some level that's a more attractive proposition than having to ride over the Gavia and Stelvio in the snow, and get paid peanuts by comparison.

That stage did look epic yesterday though...

13. Unregistered

Unregistered pfm Member

That must be the wendyballer you're referring to...

...so this must refer to the cyclist. OK, I'm confused; how is a cyclist who has clearly been involved in a heavy crash and despite being significantly injured continued to race 'cheating to avoid being injured'?

14. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

Apparently Hurling is a sport for real men. I have heard it described thus

"Hurling is Ireland's national sport, and appeals to those who find bare-knuckle boxing rather effete for their tastes. It's basically armed rugby, a cross between hockey and an uprising."

Rockmeister likes this.
  15. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

They're getting paid to ride in those conditions, many of us do it for shits and giggles. A couple of cold wet days hardly makes it survival.

BenS and Big Tabs like this.
  16. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Similar to Shinty. The best description of Shinty I ever came across was "the Vietnam War without the rules".

Chris

17. matthewr

Any sport is of course open to similar reductio ad absurdum treatments although all it does is create an impression of insecurity on the part of the poster.

18. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

There is, of course, only one sport; everything else is a game (or, in the case of the chaps on bicycles, a race).

19. merlin

I think Matthew is suggesting that because he is a cyclist he must be a cheat.

It's sad that the ill informed get that impression simply because cycling is genuinely trying to catch the cheats, as opposed to many sports that are light years behind (quite willfully) in trying to expose the dopers and illegal medical practices.

20. matthewr

Because high level cycling requires cheating in the form of drug taking and the like in order to not be injured and to perform feats that would be otherwise impossible.

Bob McC likes this.