1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Man's Sport

Discussion in 'off topic' started by merlin, May 28, 2014.

1. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

If you have ever tried to descend in the Dolomites in the rain with temperatures hovering around freezing you would appreciate that it really is a case of survival.

I have stark memories of shaking all over, teeth chattering whilst trying to stay upright at 50mph descending in the sleet & snow. No leathers. No safety barriers. Slick tyres and endless hairpins with nigh on zero visibility.

I was in an event so was not going to sack it but the organisers really should have called the thing off. And the danger those guys face is before you consider the physical torture of climbing 4300m near the edge of their physical cababilities.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  2. Greg

Greg 2t5b

Several combat games are probably harder than road bike racing.

3. merlin

That just shows a lack of understanding Matthew sorry.

4. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I like cycling and applaud their efforts to eradicate cheating (although I think, like all performance sports, they might be pointless). I just think it's incredibly lame, and does the sport a disservice that it's fans constantly have to compare it to more popular sports to make their point.

So you read this thread and look at the pictures and think that's cool, cycling looks awesome and then you get the chip on the shoulder comparisons.

/shrug.

5. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I was using words loosley to make the comparison I wanted to make. It shows no more lack of understanding than to infer a footballer might feign injury because he is not a "real man".

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Here you go: all professional sport is corrupt at all levels.

7. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Speaking of Shinty/Hurling, back in the 80s when we first moved to the Highlands, I had a work colleague who was banned sin die (for life) for on field violence. Christ only knows what he did to warrant that, but it must have been epically spectacular.

Chris

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I am picturing a Rambo style killing spree.
    "They drew first blood..."

9. Greg

Greg 2t5b

that's a bit harsh.

10. Still

Still beware of the duck

Alternatively try picturing Braveheart, but swords are substituted with large lumps of wood and a small ball of wood covered with leather.
    The main target is the sphere and the opponents lower body. Or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  11. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

yes, well, while pushing up a hill in lycra on 5kg bikes in the snow is all very manly...

check out what the errr manly men (blokes) do down here for fun. no safety gear, just a pair of dunlop volleys and a razor-sharp lovingly polished axe...

check out from 1:30

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  12. merlin

Savage Rico.

I'm guessing beer forms an important part of the athletes training programs?

As a tree lover though, I find that as disturbing as the recently featured bull fighting.

13. GTM

GTM Resitance is futile

What exactly is a "real man" anyway, in the modern world?

Just thought I'd put that question out there.

14. robs

robs pfm Member

First of the State of Origin games downunder last night. I'm not a great league fan but that was a really great game. Wrt the OP, a broken arm, dislocated shoulder and several bloods to be cleared up...in the first half.

p.s. Rico ..no safety glasses...tsk..tsk...

15. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Road cycling is the closest there is to a professional ultra sport. There's nothing else that I am aware of in the professional calendar that comes close to the demands of a 3 week Grand Tour. Cycling is utilising science to enhance performance. Illegal drug taking is no longer accepted and by no means a ticket to do better given other legal developments.
    All sports have their own particular skill sets and demands. No sport is better than any other. Cyclists are happy to highlight the virtues of their sport but I certainly don't have a chip on my shoulder about it!

16. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

indeed, I'm not 'seriously' sticking it to cycling, Merlin. I particularly like human-powered 2 wheel sport. skinny tyres or fat and muddy. oh, and there's cyclocross of course.

I used to see/watch wood chopping as a sport when I was a nipper, it was really something to see live. come to think of it, it used to be televised on the weekends down here, along with sheepdog trials and adverts for agri-chemicals. I particularly remember the smell of the pine.

I thought bull-fighting rather disturbing - and appreciate the view - until I saw it myself. it was televised - on the weekends - when I lived in Mexico. I don't expect to sell anyone on the relative merits of bullfighting; it certainly is something else.

Surely beer is part of any balanced training programme?!

17. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

or then there's...

the origins of bungy http://thejump.loadingdocs.net/

I've done 340ft before, it's.... exhilarating.

PS - I had one beer beforehand (before I had any inkling I would encounter a bungy bridge within ten minutes).... and a couple after.

18. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Broomball is a pretty physical sport. Probably the most dangerous I have played!

19. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Chinning a ref perhaps. Or using a hurl/stick to strike a player off the ball. Like most tough games where there's so much scope for sanctioned violence within the rules, the authorities tend to be extremely intolerant for other incidents.

(A case in point, I witnessed a participant being given a 1 year ban from events for flipping a ref the finger in a judo tournament - after his match was over. This in a sport where it is quite acceptable - indeed encouraged - to strangle your opponent into unconsciousness if he fails to tap-out in time :) )

20. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Try to catch them my arse.

players are drug tested from EVERY team after EVERY game in European leagues.

Never known a soccer team pull out of a league just before it started.

Never known a football team fly a tub of Vick across Europe like Sky did.