1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Recipes for mackerel

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Del monaco, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Now that choice is somewhat limited at the supermarkets I wondered if you could suggest what I could do with four whole mackerel.Its not a fish that I usually use.Ideas will be welcomed.

2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Are they fresh? (the eyes tell you how fresh the fish are - avoid dull, dehydrated looking eyes)
    If so, cook and eat, quicker the better. Grill or bake in foil. Don't mess around with the flavor. Maybe a bit of mustard on the side to cut through the natural oily nature of mackerel. delicious..

Smoked mackerel has many uses, but fresh mackerel is best with minimal phaffing about in my opinion.

Or gut and fillet then freeze?

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

We love mackerel. Try pasta puttanesca; kedgeree; or cook it and turn it into pâté by blending it with finely chopped chives, horseradish (Sainsbury’s horseradish cream from a jar is our favourite) and a bit of creme fraiche to adjust the stiffness. Fab on toast, esp sourdough.

4. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Grill. Lemon. Black pepper. Brown bread and butter. Eat. Perfect.

Ps eat stomach area last - most bones their. Otherwise top down.

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Stuff with sliced potatoes and liberal amounts of dijon. Bake in the oven

6. Big Tabs

That is what I would do with smoked mackerel, not fresh fish.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  7. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

If it's super fresh. Fillet, skin, pin bone, and do mackerel tartare (fine onion, horseradish, pepper, chopped gherkin). Eat as is.

Or sashimi. Slice and dip in soy or horseradish.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Big Tabs like this.
  8. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

My wife makes a fantastic mackerel chowder. It’s absolutely delicious. I can’t cook so couldn’t tell you how to make it if my life depended on it, but will ask her for the recipe if anyone likes the sound of it.

vuk, Whaleblue and Stuart Frazer like this.
  9. Big Tabs

The potato would have to be par-boiled/cooked, otherwise the fish will overcook.

Gaycha likes this.
  10. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Great response. They are fresh and in the freezer. I saw a lovely Spanish recipe I may try, cooked in foil with lemons etc. Some great ideas thanks.

11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Frozen white fish is pretty average, frozen oily fish, such as mackerel is ghastly.

They are also ghastly unless super-fresh and if you can't judge fresh fish, best left alone.

Slash the sides 3-4 times, grill and eat with a bare drizzle of light soy sauce and crusty bread, and a bit of salad. Perfect.

gintonic and Gaycha like this.
  12. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I thought that too, but it works

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

A freshly caught mackerel grilled is divine.

Spike, Suffolk Tony and Ponty like this.
  14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Baked in tinfoil, with lemons. Make lemon stuffing if you want to, with breadcrumbs, an egg, minced onions, apple if you wish, and, erm, lemon juice.

I once experimented with grapefruit and mackerel. I thought the acidity and bitterness from the grapefruit would be a delicious counter to the oily fish. Bad move.

Big Tabs likes this.
  15. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

If it’s that fresh, yes, leave it alone. I grew up in Falmouth and as kids we used to take the boat out, throw a hooked line out the back and 10 minutes later a load of mackerel would be ours for supper. Can’t do that so easily now, the stocks aren’t quite the same. Happy days.

eternumviti likes this.
  16. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Frozen Icelandic cod is pretty good these days. Agree about frozen mackerel - that's just bait for angling.

However, frozen mackerel could be manna from heaven in a couple of months with this crisis on.

Hopefully teach a lot of fussy kids and picky adults to be less so, when that's all there is.

17. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Mackerel, scrambled eggs, toast, pot of tea, glass of orange juice.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and gavreid like this.
  18. MVV

MVV pfm Member

I make Tandoori Mackerel. Marinade for 24 hours then fire up the barbecue.

Gaycha, gintonic and gavreid like this.
  19. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Decades ago At Staithes early evening you used to be able to foul hook them in seconds as they drove the sprats in in a feeding frenzy.

20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Oops, yes, you're quite right. Apols to the OP.

Big Tabs likes this.