1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommend a car for young driver?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Keith Smith, May 23, 2014.

1. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Getting older every day.

Hi,

Driving myself slowly insane with the various choices, son is 19

Newer car lower tax

Older car cheaper to buy etc

What have others done ?

My though a the moment is Vw polo 1.2 approx 2k

2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Have you worked out what the insurance will be? Might make the choice of car seem like a minor factor.

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

2CV6

4. Keith Smith

Yes have been looking at that, young marmalade offer deals on newer cars, but tesco seem to be offering sensible figures, well it's still going to be a £100 a month !

5. Keith Smith

Nice ...

6. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

I went through the same a couple of years ago and ended up with a VW Fox urban. Cheap to run and insure and quite sporty for a 3 cylinder engine. Unusual for a car in this price bracket but the drivers seat height can be adjusted.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen/fox

Cheers,

DV

7. Minstrel SE

Minstrel SE These go to eleven

Check the insurance and work backwards from there. Obviously a cheaper car with a small engine. 798cc :) Ah the sense of freedom with all that money to pay and clogged up roads.

As a young driver they will probably nobble him on a £150 mini.

8. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I went with a used 1.2L Honda Jazz for my kids. Was ok for insurance, plus safe and reliable - my daugher has run it for about 3 years or so now without problem and my son will be moving onto it as soon as he passes his test.

One advantage my daughter mentions is that, unlike her friends with Corsa's and the like, she never gets stopped by the police when driving late at night!

9. Greg

Greg 2t5b

After much careful consideration, for my 17 (now just turned 18) yo the VW Up! was the best choice.

Pretty cheap to buy new, holds its value very well, very cheap on fuel, bundled servicing, possibly safer than a four year old small car, almost certainly safer than a 6 ear old small car. Considerably cheaper insurance than 4+ year old cars. And actually a nice little car to drive.

Alternative the Skoda Citigo or Seat Mii, which are identical bar the styling (though someone online reckons the VW has slightly different suspension).

10. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

just wait until he passes his test, that's when the price really goes up.

11. Keith Smith

I know! We've all been there and had to learn, I was considering one of these schemes where you get the insurance free and pay a set monthly fee

I hadn't considered the Jazz or the Seat thanks this is why it's always good to ask others. As said earlier I'm not the first to go through this..

Interesting insurance seems to have reduced for the sons recently rather than daughters

12. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

Mini One Diesel* would be my choice - that's what my 18yo daughter is practising in inbetween driving lessons in some standard BSM car

* You can get them new for about £200 per month

13. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I'm thinking I might get my daughter a Mini as her next car - won't be a new one though!

14. cliffpatte

cliffpatte Speed camera anarchist

November 2006 was when the new BMW diesel engine went onto the platform in place of the Toyota engine. So I reckon a 2007/8 model would be the one to get if you don't fancy getting a new one.

15. Keith Smith

Just checking the condition of young marmalade insurance the car must be under 6 years old..

So I better check out the cost of the insurance on of the comparison sites the 107 and the Fiat 500 seems a good choice any others ?

16. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

Citroen's are cheap to run, but depressing. The up is great, but cheaper is the mii and the citigo.

17. Greg

Greg 2t5b

I found whilst the Skoda was a bit cheaper availability of the spec we wanted was quite a wait. Plus the Up seems to pay you back with slightly higher residuals.

Insurance on the little Citroens was significantly higher, possibly due to the accident profile of other owners.

18. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

I looked extensively for my 18 year old niece as the insurance went up after she passed her test and although I paid the first big instalment, she would have to cover the next 9/10 payments so we wanted it as affordable as possible. We narrowed it down to Fiat Punto 1.2, Hyundai Getz 1.1 (maybe 1.3) and Kia Piccanto as these were by far the cheapest for insurance. Ended up with a Fiat Punto - cheap to buy and repair as well as insure.

Looking around for final insurance quotes, we called Privilege and they came up cheapest for insurance paying via instalments and was lowered if she had a tracker installed. I questioned the tracker as I knew she would drive late at night etc. and Privilege said that their tracker was to monitor driving style....speed, braking, g force etc. but there wasn't any restrictions for driving at night or weekends. So all in all, a good deal at circa £1450 for the year and with the additional charge for monthly payments, it came in at around £1600 ish (can't remember exact figure).

19. Greg

Greg 2t5b

I think we're paying around £850 insurance for year 1.

20. KC Cantiaci

KC Cantiaci pfm Member

That is cheap. Is that for an a 17/18 year old on their own insurance for the first time? And where abouts are you?

We had to really hunt around for the deal we got. I tried lots of different permutations of cars and things like VW Polo's and the like were coming in at £3000+.