1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by tones, Jan 15, 2020.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

The Rover, gritty Ozzie crime road movie with Guy Pierce.

Way too much mediocre garbage new commissions on Netflix. Fed up with it tbh.Too many series rehash and recycle previous success- Locke & key is Stranger things meets 'Hill house....and a dash of Goosebumps....
    I can't watch The Stranger it follows the 'as if' pattern of multiple plot threads ( the Fall season 2 turned it into an arse form)with each eventually jumping the shark' and making you shout at the telly but YMMV.

2. adamk

adamk pfm Member

Marriage Story on Netflix
    Forget that Kylo Ren nonsense, Adam Driver is superb.
    Laura Dern hams it up nicely as cut throat divorce lawyer for an Oscar

3. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

A few weeks - what was I thinking : Ragnarok has only 6 episodes (but hopefully there will be a Season 2) !?

Now for The Stranger....

4. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Watched Paddy Considine's "Journeyman" at the weekend. Superb acting and had me blubbing like a baby which is most unusual I assure you

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  5. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

I see season 5 of Better Call Saul's due out at the end of the month. Something to look forward to, and if you've never seen the series I can heartily recommend it.

6. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

Started The Stranger. Only one episode in but intrigued to see more, although I have to say I felt the discussion in the garden about the pregnancy was one of the most unconvincing scenes I’ve seen in a while, although I can’t put my finger on the reason...

7. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I just watched The Two Popes and was surprised to find myself really enjoying it. Great acting and not at all the serious drama I was expecting!

8. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I just watched To End All Wars on Prime and I've got to say, it's a pretty good film, even though it's a wee bit dated now as it was made in 2001 and it shows. In a nutshell, the film tells the 'true' story of the struggle of a group of POWs who worked on the infamous Burmese railway during the Second World War. Specifically, it's told by Capt. Ernest Gordon of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

I was sort of expecting to bail out after 10 minutes or so as I wasn't really in the mood for a long film - the film lasts just under two hours - but I'm glad I stuck with it as it was quite easy to stick with it till the end, as it were. I wouldn't say the acting is first class, the film stars Robert Carlyle and Kiefer Sutherland as the Yanker (a portmanteau on Yank and... I'm sure you can guess the rest), but the human story is there to be seen regardless. Recommended.

9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I watched The Master yesterday, have had it taped for months, fantastic film, the acting is superb as is the cinematography, filmed on 70mm film and looks amazing especially the sailing scenes.

No idea if it's on Netflix or Prime but if it is watch it, it's brilliant.

10. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

jack.

i watched this the other night and was totally underwhelmed. rather than expose some great hack, what they seemed to reveal (or rather discover very late) about was our vapid culture and the proliferation of online "direct" marketing. the cultural, social and economic analysis is so superficial that the creators never grapple with what i think are the really difficult questions here.

it's not about setting up impossible/un-enforcable rules for facebook and google, it's about radical de-centralization of these powers. do we really need facebook to share pictures and banal anecdotes with one another? is there no other way to organize searching of the web? does online advertizing cause more harm than good?

11. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Thought Uncut Gems was very good. Adam Sandler as the fast-talking gem trader in a constant financial balancing act with some nasty people is outstanding. Apparently he thought he was as well.

Gaycha and AndyU like this.
  12. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

Following Mark Kermode's positive review, I did give this a go the other night. Adam Sandler is very good in the part but I found the relentless swearing and rapid, agressive dialogue a bit wearing. I'll eventually watch it to the end but in small chunks!

13. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

On my list, thanks, tt (looks like loosely based on L Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology).

14. Wolfmancatsup

Blimey. That’s enough of The Stranger for me. Halfway through episode two and found myself saying “oh ffs!” just a bit too often.

Finished BoJack Horseman now, sadly, but am enjoying Ragnarok so far, albeit that I’ve only watched a couple of eps. Locke & Key didn’t do a lot for me...

Mick

cooky1257 likes this.
  15. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Yes I read that but the story is quite ambiguous, Joaquin Phoenix & Phillip Seymore Hoffman are outstanding as is Amy Adams, but Phoenix is the stand out for me, he plays a man completely out of control with clear mental health issues, he has 'visions' throughout the movie some of which are completely out there, particularly the scene where Hoffman sings the folk song (brilliant) and in the cinema at the end of the film.

Marvellous film, I think it will need a few viewings though, I've already watched it twice.

BTW, the boat used in the film was FDR's presidential yacht, the USS Potomac.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_(2012_film)

jtrade likes this.
  16. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

If you haven't already seen it 30 days of Night a gory graphic novel spin off is rather good on prime

Suffolk Tony and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  17. Wolfmancatsup

That's a fun film, although the lead vampire looks a little like Neil Tennant!

18. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Haha it's uncanny!

19. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Watched Evie on Netflix last night.

Great British film with shrike Hancock as an octagenerian widow wanting to hike a mountain. Great Scottish scenery, good scriot,. Not cheesy.

Bit of pathos about aging and wasted time,. But entertaining too

Been sat on watchlist for a while. Wish I'd seen it sooner.

1:30 so not too long for a weeknight either.

20. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

Agreed, saw him in a White House conspiracy thing, the Report. It was excellent.