1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rega Apheta cartridge

Discussion in 'audio' started by ajm, Jun 19, 2019.

1. ajm

ajm pfm Member

Hello,

Is there a way to visually distinguish between a Rega Apheta 1 and Apheta 2 cartridge?

I've seen them before with either 'Apheta' or 'Apheta 2' written on the little front mounted Rega label, but my cart doesn't have any Rega label on it at all.

Hope someone can help.

2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

They’re a different colour for a start with the original being a grey/blue colour and the MK2 being silver.
    The generator assemblies are different too, the original having a steel cylinder that the magnet is threaded into, the thread that supports the magnet in the MK2 is part of the cartridge body casting.

3. ajm

ajm pfm Member

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any links to photos of mk1 vs mk2 ?

4. mand

mand pfm Member

5. ajm

ajm pfm Member

Brilliant - thank you

6. cheviot

cheviot pfm Member

The clear plastic is much thinner and more fragile on the original Apheta. On the Apheta 2 it appears much more substantial and rigid. [​IMG] [​IMG]

MusicMiles likes this.
  7. ajm

ajm pfm Member

thanks for the info

8. I always wondered with my apheta two as not anything on it to suggest so but now confirmed by photo. Thing I hate is the stylus guard makes you cringe every time you have to put it back on mr maggoo lol.

9. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

Leave it off then :)

allthingsanalog likes this.
  10. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

I think this is probably a first serious update of the classic MC design from the 1960s.

11. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Lyra, Benz and ortofon may disagree. But to be fair the new ART cart with butterfly coil is the first real step change.

12. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

Perhaps the ART is another different one. Lyra, Benz and all others use the same overall design. I recently bought Denon 103, which is one of the first commercial MC production in the late 1960s and is still made the same way. It appears to be the same overall design as any number of modern MC carts - coil location, tension wire, magnet shape and location.

13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Those are great pics, thanks.

14. Shuggie

Shuggie pfm Member

JVC did something similar back in the 80s - see http://www.thevintageknob.org/jvc-MC-L10.html

15. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

Very clever and ART is definitely related...but not the Rega. I should look for an opportunity to try a Rega MC.

My P9 is currently fitted with a vintage Koetsu, but maybe it's time to change.

16. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

You'll certainly find koetsu and the new regas quite different

matt j likes this.
  17. linnfomaniac83

I like them, I’ve had an original Apheta on a (well fettled) P5 and it’s the best I’ve heard that deck sound, it matches up really well (no real surprise there). Sadly, my young nephew trashed it. I might buy an Ania at some point because that’s a great cartridge too. I’d be looking at an Apheta 2 on a P9 though... I can’t comment on how they compare to your Koetsu though because I’ve never heard a Koetsu for any meaningful length of time.

18. DimitryZ

DimitryZ pfm Member

Maybe my Koetsu is different than what has been described as the Koetsu sound. It's an early Rosewood, and at least on a P9 it is not overly warm or romantic sounding. Its the only Koetsu I have ever heard, so my frame of reference is pretty small.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  19. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm member

My original Apheta is still going strong (on a P9). A whole new world upgrading from an Exact twelve years ago. Fairly low annual mileage but hopefully it will be going to Rega for a refurb this year sometime.

ps - The Exact is a great on a P9 too!

Rack Kit likes this.
  20. linnfomaniac83

Wow, I didn’t realise the Apheta had been around that long. I agree though, it’s a big step up from the Exact, to be fair, the Ania is a big step up from the Exact. And to be fair to the Exact, I don’t think it’s a poor cartridge at all, it’s just that the MC cartridges are excellent. The Ania is stonking value for money, I’ll probably stick on on my P5 when I don’t have a thousand other things to pay for.