1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

rega ARA: how are they, please?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Maxbertola, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Maxbertola

Maxbertola pfm Member

Any experience /opinions on the rega ARAs?
    More importantly, how much do you think are they worth currently?

A guy is selling a pair that might suit a system of mine, but I think he's asking too much.

Thanks for all replies arriving before the second half of this afternoon, when I'll go auditioning them.

Max

2. per flemming

per flemming Registered User

Never heard these myself but must be version after Kyte and before R1, both are not bad at all.

In fact I enjoyed my R1 & RS1 more than the larger R/RS, room and gear may play a role. Ela & XEL are my Rega fave, not many minters around.

R1 or RS1 are safe purchases, goes straight up wall, maybe Kytes too, my guess Ara Eur 150-200 or so depending on the condition.

If price is higher go for R/RS1, they are great for your amp and will reveal the differences from your CD to a Rega cd.

Not sure they will satisfy more than your nSats Max ?

3. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

They're nice sounding, very similar to Kytes. So they have that very exciting sounding paper driver, but can be quite stunning with the right material. I ran Kytes for a while after hearing them, nut found that in a big room they struggled. They don't do scale well for sure.

4. Maxbertola

Maxbertola pfm Member

Ok,

I listened to them, with a Mimik player and Exposure XV integrated, plus a very much NAC A4 looking cable.
    The room was square-y and not very furnished, bright sounding and so were the Aras: fresh, clear, with a wide and tall image, but in my opinion approximated about timbres, not very rich harmonically, yet with some bass here and there.

Per,

no they can't substitute for the Sats, but it wasn't my intention. I have a pair of Kytes that I run with 42.5/140 for vinyl, and unless it is my room(s), they are more rounded, more 'full' than the Aras.

Once I had Elas, the very first series floor standers; very very clear, even a little too much perhaps. Or perhaps electronics sounded different.

I also thought about 150-200. The guy is asking for 300, so they'll stay where they are.