1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rega P3 Motor not working

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Keith Smith, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Getting older every day.

2. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

use a meter to test the switch, caps should be ok and the windings measure approx 2.45k ohms each and can be measured in circuit= grey/blue and grey/red the other.

3. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I would be very surprised if it is the motor that is at fault. The motor pulley is glued is place with superglue - are you sure it hasn't become free and the motor shaft is just spinning within it?

4. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Also does the shaft turn freely?

5. Keith Smith

The pulley was loose ( now removed ) but still no power and the motor spindle, seems to be solid ...

6. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Remove & check for bad solder joints on the pcb.

7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Do you mean the shaft is seized?

8. Keith Smith

Ok, please be gentle as I have limited knowledge here and seem to be learning quickly

The switch seems to be fine, checked with metre

Soldering looks ok ?

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee438/keithsmith1/IMG_1081_zpswttuglca.jpg

The shaft on the motor, will not rotate by hand at all ..

I have a meter and have attempted the readings blue / grey and red / grey but with no real positive results

What's my next course of action ?

9. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

A drop of thin oil in the bearings and leave it somewhere warm might loosen things up.

Pete

10. Keith Smith

11. Pete MB&D

They are film caps they don't often go wrong, the best test is to see if the motor runs.

Pete

12. Keith Smith

Is there a quick way to test it ?

13. Michael J

Michael J pfm Member

14. Keith Smith

Thanks can I bypass the pcb, motor red / grey and blue / grey in to chocolate block to mains ? Or do I need to reassemble ...

Sorry I understand the principles just this is all a bit new and would rather be safe lol

Thanks for the help,

15. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

Here is the circuit diag for those motors normally they just need a 0.2uf cap and a 6.8K resistor if you are on UK 50hz mains

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/526545.pdf

Where is your resistor BTW?, this is only a 110V motor.

Alan

16. Michael J

Michael J pfm Member

You have freed up the motor? Put it back together. I doubt that the motor is designed for unadulderated 240V AC, it'll probably try to reach orbit and rapidly burn out without the control circuitry. The choccy block is just quicker, easier, and in many cases better, than soldering.

17. Pete MB&D

Put it back together to be on the safe side.

Pete

18. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Your motor was stuck,glue the pulley back on and put it back as was. The question is what caused the motor to seize?

19. Keith Smith

20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Using WD-40 as lubricant?
    It is too volatile, use something like sewing machine oil to lubricate the motor