1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rega RP3 Feet...

Discussion in 'audio' started by VinBob, Jul 19, 2014.

1. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Hello All,

Just recently got a new RP3 and have some upgrades to apply from my old TT being the Groovetracer Subplater, Michell Technoweight and the upgrade belt.

Looking to make one final tweak and wanted to get some feedback/thoughts on adding the P7/P9 upgrade feet. Are these worth the extra $$ or should I simply stick with the ones that came with the RP3? I have to believe Rega made and have the P7/P9 versions on the higher end turntables for a reason!

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
    Vin.

2. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Think the p7/p9 are the same ones as on the RP6 so I would think it would be an improvement.

Have you got a Rega TT shelf as I found this improved things a lot. Also the tangospinner dual pulley with the rega white belts is very good. I've got a Funk Acromat on my RP6 and that improved the bass noticeably.

3. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Thanks for the feedback. No, I do not have the shelf as I am limited with the type of walls and positioning of the equipment to be able to utilize this shelf. I have a solid sound organization rack (from the early 90's!) which is on spikes into concrete flooring which is carpeted, so I should be good there.

The other question I have, is are these feet adjustable? Meaning, if the plinth is not 100% level, how would one handle leveling with these feet?

4. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

The RP6 feet aren't adjustable so if the p7/p9 are the same ones it's a no.

5. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

OK - Thanks. I guess if any leveling is needed, I'll have to deal with the rack which will be a bit of a chore, but such is life!

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Don't they have beermats in your part of the world?

7. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Yes, but I would rather not use them for the sake of keeping a nice clean look - would look crappy with beer mata to me!

8. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Hi vinbob, just a thought but why not get an adjustable level to go between the rega and the rack, like a silent stage or something like that. If you are feeling handy, you could diy something with some threaded feet and some threaded inserts and a bit of 8-10mm acrylic for about £40.

9. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Thanks for the advice Fox - I will look into the silent stage or something similar to provide the leveling options and a more solid base to the shelf I have on my rack. In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered the P7/P9 feet which at least gives me the best available Rega feet on the TT and removes that as a possible area for concern! :)

I am going to research the silent stage or an equivalent here in the USA.

10. Robert

Robert Tapehead

Or coins :)

11. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Now coins I may be able to do! :D

Rega P7/P9 feet are on the way and will see how it all works out with leveling once I get them installed onto the TT as it is still boxed and waiting on the cartridge arrival :)

Just to change the topic a little but with the same helpful audience, any thoughts on a replacement mat for the Rega RP3 or should I stick with the standard felt mat?

I have heard great things about the Herbies Way Excellent Mat and wanted to get people's thoughts on maybe replacing with that or some other. Or, would I be better off putting the money towards a future replacement platter of which I read the Delrin type is the way to go...?

Thanks in advance and look forward to the feedback!

12. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Has anyone messed with the aftermarket top and bottom braces?

13. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Not bothered with braces as my top plate is 10mm ally, but platters for rega decks seem to be plentiful and vary tremendously. I chose an Tizo Acryl frosted white acrylic over delrin because I liked the look. I cannot say if it is an improvement as I built my rega based TT from third party aftermarket parts, but the Rega P6 based acrylic platter from Tizo Acryl/Delta Devices is really well made and delivery was fast. The price was very reasonable too...

The RP8 RP10 hard metal feet are interesting, designed only for these two tts I decided on giving them a while anyway and I definitely pretty those to the squishy rubber feet that most people gravitate towards, I do not know why, again mine is not a Rega deck so all bets are off...

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Any comments/thoughts on replacing mats/platter on RP3 or best to stick with what comes with the TT in keeping the Rega sound etc...?

15. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Bump!

16. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

I bought a yellow Rega felt mat (don't think yellow is available any more) for my white RP6, just cos I liked the colour, and matched the colour of the Exact!

17. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Not exactly what I was looking for, but thanks for playing! lol

18. Mallas

Mallas New Member

I run a TTPSU'ed P3/24 currently, have been thru some different mats / disc supports such as Linn felt and Ringmats (various) but always return to the original thickish [red] Rega felt. Somehow it just clicks together and makes music better. Need yet to try some Funk products, but I'm starting to believe in the original design (glass platter topped with felt) synergy here. Also my P3/24 has P7/P9 feet, but this I consider merely a nice and relatively inexpensive visual upgrade.

19. VinBob

VinBob pfm Member

Thanks for the feedback. I received the P7/P9 feet this weekend and as it turned out, they don't really fit the RP3!!! :mad:

I was told they would by the dealer but found that the foot in the back, is too close to the PS cover and slightly rubs against it and the one under the power supply switch on the left, would not fit as there is a cover plate located there and would interfere more so.

So, it was a nice idea even though it was probably more of a cosmetic upgrade rather than a performance improvement, but I guess it wasn't meant to be... :(

20. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

Gustavo, the Tangospinner bloke, has started making replacement Rega feet for the P3 variants, so they're likely to fit (and are height adjustable to boot).

As for mats, my experience is that the Acromat adds a little resolution and focus. So depending on the current balance of your system, it could either tidy the sound up a touch or nudge it into brightness. The only real way to find out is to try it.