1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Rega tonearm

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Natara, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I’ve had to sell my system to fund new life stuff but have managed to keep my LP12 minus the tonearm and psu, Unitiqute 2 and Dynaudio Contours.
    So I’m looking for the best bang for buck tonearm to take my Dynavector 20x2L so I’m thinking Rega RB300?
    Please pm me

2. lencotweaker

lencotweaker Mostly dreaming of record players

There are a couple of really cheap Mission 774LC on eBay just now. They are an OEM Jelco 250ST and will drop straight onto your Linn armboard. For me, i’ve always preferred the sound of a Jelco to a Rega, especially on a Linn. Remember how many OEM Arms Jelco have made, including the very latest Linn Majik tonearm. A Basik+ isn’t a bad arm either with a MM cart. These would be my bang for buck steers. For the PSU a used Valhalla but a Hercules is a better bet. You should be able to nail both for under £300.

3. I have a Rega RB303 on ebay at the moment. It has been seriouslly upgraded by Audio Origami in late 2017. The cost of the arm plus modifications to the previous owner was in the order of £850. I am looking for £360 to include postage.

4. Magic

Magic pfm Member

IIRC the Rega doesn’t match well with the LP12 subchassis so you’ll need at least a new armboard, if not more.

5. Jason P

Jason P pfm Member

My experience with a Rega derived arm on a LP12 wasn't good (it was an Origin Live OL1 or 2, I can't remember which). For some reason I think the Rega doesn't sit well on a Sondek. I'd be looking at the Linn/Jelco/Mission route too if I were you. I'd also try and get the Hercules over the Valhalla, unless you know the Valhalla has been serviced or at least checked over.

6. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

I dont think a rega arm on a linn works all that well also, the linn seems to show up what the arm tube really is ie a casting.

It sounds ok but lacks something , an Akito is much better

Jason P likes this.
  7. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

Thats funny I had to sell my new life stuff to fund my system.

TheFlash likes this.
  8. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

I have a Rega RB250 packed away in a dark corner.
    It was bought as a project ( poor rewire which needs re-doing). I have never got around to it as the TT it was meant for is also in mothballs.
    Otherwise in very good condition, €75 plus postage from Asia at buyers risk.

The only experience I have of one on a LP12 was replacing a Basik which it bettered IMHO.

9. Natara

Natara pfm Member

I suppose it depends on what the new life stuff if it’s a yoga mat and a gym then I’d go with the system all day long!!!

10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I know it's annoying when people offer you things you didn't ask for for more than you want to spend, but I do have a Nima I should be passing on: Rega mount, and they say it works very well with the LP12.

11. adespade

adespade pfm Member

cjarchez - I@d be interest int he RB250 if the OP isnt

12. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

Rega arms can work well on an LP12

Some of the very best sounding tonearms I have ever heard on an LP12 have been Rega mounting - a Roksan Nima and the best being a Funk FXR.

I preferred both of those to any Linn arm I have heard (and I’ve heard them all, owned all up to Ekos 2)

Roksan Nima has a rubbish counterweight IMHO but this can be solved by fitting a Tiger Paw Skale. Then it’s fantastic value for money.

13. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Noted, thanks.

14. MrS

MrS Member

I have a Rega R200 I have just put on HiFi WigWam. Many people think they are better and warmer sounder than the RB300. PM me if you are interested.

15. Natara

Natara pfm Member

My RB250 fell through so still looking.

16. Pinky

Pinky In suspense, not compressed

I have a bog standard RB250 sitting in a drawer feeling rather put out since being changed for a newer model a few years back. It's in good condition, works fine and I'm sure would be very pleased to be put back into service.
    Could do it for £110 inc UK postage if you're interested. No original box but I can find something that will do the job.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 6:45 PM
  17. jimbot2.0

jimbot2.0 pfm Member

I have a 250, its got the origin live external rewire and BNCs and the modified counterweight BUT the internals need rewiring and the armlift needs attention ...£30?

18. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

I have a really nice all original rb300 with the tungsten counter weight .£160 inc post if you are in the uk.

19. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Very tempting hp1 let me have a think

20. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I have heard the idea that Rega arms don't work on the LP12 many times. It's rubbish! I have had all of the arms Linn have made except the Ekos and I don't own a Linn arm any more. My LP12 has a stripped and rewired RB300 on it. I have also had two Mission 774LCs and while they are ok, they are not a patch on an RB300, or 250. I'd say they are about on a par with the Basik LVX.

Rega arms work perfectly well on the Linn, you just need to know how to do it.